• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with 94 exporer 4.0

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My sister the other day she ran it out of antifreeze I don't know how long it ran low because it was somewhere within the 6 miles from work. The antifreeze leaked out of the gasket on the intake manifold. Last night I pulled it into the shop and it sounded fine outside of dripping water. Well tonight we replaced the gaskets and put it all back together and started it up and now it's knocking. Sounds like from under the valve cover. And it was leaking gas from the injector. The old o ring must of ripped. So dose anyone know if the lack of gas from the leaks be causing the knock or should I start looking for something else well I got it apart.

turbo_steve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you change the oil and filter? If not, do so and try drive it for a bit. Could have damaged something when it overheated or be a rod knock if coolant got in the oil.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see any coolant in the oil but dad thinks it sounds like a collapsed lifter

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you removed the intake manifold and cleaned the surface some debris may have fallen into one of the lifters, they have a little cup on the top of each one where the push rod sits.

Is it a tapping or knocking sound?, tapping is more lifter/valve related, knocking leans more towards bearings or pre/post-ignition.

You mentioned fuel leaking, a stuck open injector can cause a knocking noise, it is feeding fuel into the cylinder all the time which causes a knock as it ignites on exhaust stroke.
To test for a stuck open injector unplug the wire to each injector one at a time, that cylinder should start missing, no fuel, if you unplug an injector wire and cylinder doesn't start missing then that injector is stuck open.
If it is a bad rod bearing this test would quiet the knock when that cylinder is missing, the loud knock comes from the cylinder firing and pushing the loose connecting rod down onto the crankshaft journal, without ignition its a much quieter sound.
If the noise is in the valve train it would not change even if cylinder is missing.

Last edited:

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks RonD I am hoping that the injector is the problem. Because it sounds like its spark knocking. It didn't knock when we drove it in the shop but after we tore it apart and had some trouble with them injectors. and when we put it back together it started knocking. dad and I got the whole day tomorrow to work on it. since I got it apart all ready because of the gas leak how can I check to see if the injector is stuck open?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To test for a stuck open injector unplug the wire to each injector one at a time, that cylinder should start missing, no fuel, if you unplug an injector wire and cylinder doesn't start missing then that injector is stuck open.

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks but she's toasted spun rod bearing or something might know by the end of the day. It was running than it quit knocking than it started knocking really loud

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals