• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with Door Locks 97 Ranger ?

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone,
I have a 97 Ford Ranger Splash 4x4 and I have been having trouble with the Door locks.
When I put the key in I have to work it from right to left many times before I get the door to unlock.
It is the same way on both sides.
Does anyone have this trouble or know how to fix it ?
I have tried wd40 but that doesnt work.
Thanks and have a great week.
:icon_cheers:

TMarsh04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I had that problem on my old jeep. The problem probably isn't your locks, so WD40 won't do squat. Most likely your key is just getting worn down. I'm almost positive actually, since you said you're having the problem with both doors and I'm sure you unlock the driver's side door with a key far more often than the passenger side door. Try a spare key if you have one, otherwise order a new one and make a copy so you won't have to order another in the future. :beer:

Last edited:

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
How do i get another key from ford ?

Hey thinks for the information.
If I wanted to get a new key from ford what would i have to do and what would i need to get it ?
Thanks ......

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I had this problem with my 96 ranger. If you take it to Ford, they will only call a locksmith to fix it, and charge you a markup on services.
Take the truck to a locksmith yourself, or remove the passengers' side lock and take that to the locksmith. They will make a key based on the code number on the lock cylinder or from the actual pins in the lock. Then have that new key copied for a backup. After I did this, I never had a problem till the truck was killed.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had this problem with every Ford I've ever driven. Although the driver's side lock is usually far worse off than the passenger side. I have to wiggle my key just right to open the damn door. The problem is, when I changed to a spare a while ago, it didn't make a difference.

Any suggestions?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
If the spare is cut from a worn or well used key, you start with the worn cuts. Do as suggested before to make a NEW key that fits the lock pins from the passenger side (least used in most vehicles) lock. It will probably fix the problem with the drivers' side lock. Only if actually necessary, you can have the pins in the drivers' side cylinder replaced after you make a key that works with the passengers' side cylinder.

The metal of the key usually wears down before the metal of the pins in the lock.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The spare key I am using came with the truck according to the guy I bought it from. It was never used once; I lost the original key, so I had to grab the spare I am using now. If it's never been used up until I started using it like 6 months ago, it couldn't have worn down that fast...at least I don't think it could/

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
fixed it for now

Hello everyone,
Thank you all for the advise, you guys are the best.
I bought some graphite powder and put some in both key holes and worked the key and it has helped alot that is for now.
hope this may help some of you out with your locks.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The "spare" may have been cut (copied) from a worn key.
Look at the metal in the bottom of the key cuts. If it is smooth, it's worn. Not sure how much, but it's worn. Still might be worth taking to a locksmith.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll check it out...the guy said it came with the truck when he bought it in 98.

So if I take the lock cylinder to a smith they can make me a key based on the code?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I'll check it out...the guy said it came with the truck when he bought it in 98.

So if I take the lock cylinder to a smith they can make me a key based on the code?
Yes, they can. Either from the code on the cylinder (if it has one, some don't) or from the cylinder itself. It is best if you take the passenger door lock cylinder, it's usually the least worn.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I have not had this problem , and the funny thing is I have been using the plastic spare key that came with the truck new .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals