• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with identifying this wheel/tire

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've had this set of tires sitting in my back yard for about a year now and know that they won't be used. I'm going to clean them up and try to sell them but I don't know all the information on them. What I do know is that they are 33x14.5R15 tires on 15 inch tall rims but I don't know the width, I'm guessing 10. Also not sure about backspacing. I know they are a 6 lug bolt pattern but don't know the width of it. I'm pretty sure the wheels/tires came off of a late 90s Suburban but not positive. The tires are Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP but I have no idea of the make or model of the rim. My last question is does rotational direction matter? I heard a while back that radial tires develop memory and if you run them backwards they will just blow out, is that true or am I an idiot? If it is true how can I determine the rotational direction? Any help would be great. I'm looking to sell them cheap on craigslist but need to know more before I do sell them. Here's some pics, any help would be great.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Ummm, If radial tires developed memory and blew out, then they would blow out whenever anyone rotated their tires.

I have no idea on what wheels those are. If you dismounted one, it probably says on the inside of the wheel. At least it does on my steelies.

Last edited:

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ummm, If radial tires developed memory and blew out, then they would blow out whenever anyone rotated their tires.

I have no idea on what wheels those are. If you dismounted one, it probably says on the inside of the wheel. At least it does on my steelies.
Well you rotate tires front to back, direction remains the same. I can try the dismounting if I can get acces to a machine.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well you rotate tires front to back, direction remains the same. I can try the dismounting if I can get acces to a machine.
Not always on the rotation, I have seen rotation charts on cars or in owners manuals that the manufacturer recommendation is front left to right rear, right rear to left rear, left rear to right front and right front to left front - if I remember correctly. This gives the tires a chance to wear evenly. I remember the old "biased" tires had issues with rotation, but not radials.

As for the rims, sorry cannot help you there, like mentioned, you can see if the make is stamped inside the rim along with the size.

Good Luck . . .

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I could tell you the uh.. cheap redneck way to dismount a tire..

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I could tell you the uh.. cheap redneck way to dismount a tire..
Remove the valve core.
Put your jack-all/hi-lift right next to the bead, and then attempt to jack up something heavy.

Ta-da, de-beaded.

Flip + repeat.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remove the valve core.
Put your jack-all/hi-lift right next to the bead, and then attempt to jack up something heavy.

Ta-da, de-beaded.

Flip + repeat.
That's probably easier than what I do. I took my full size dodge power ram and drove it up on a 4x4 that was laying on the edge of the bead. Had to adjust it a few times though to avoid damaging the tire/rim. The jack idea seems like a better/easy way.

OH GOOD GOD I JUST SNEEZED WITH STREP THROAT! *Cries of anguish and pain*

Sorry, that was random. But it really hurts when your nose is plugged. The entire force of the sneeze pushes your sinuses and then blasts its way out your mouth in some weird cough like sneeze.. with spit instead of mucus. VERY painfull.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, maybe I'll just sell them cheap and not bother with brand. Only thing I still don't know is the lug pattern, I'm guessing 6 on 5.5 with the tape measure. Also how do you measure backspacing?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
around here the brand of wheel usually doesnt matter.....just the size and lug pattern

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, maybe I'll just sell them cheap and not bother with brand. Only thing I still don't know is the lug pattern, I'm guessing 6 on 5.5 with the tape measure. Also how do you measure backspacing?
Honestly, who is that concered with brand when buying used rims?

Regarding backspacing, here is how to get a pretty good idea.

cut a small (straight) stick, preferably a surveyor stake to the correct length to rest where i drew the red line. then use your tape measure in a vertical position to measure to the wheel mounting surface. (the green line). this should give you the backspaceing value, it is what I have done in the past.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If I was to guess, those wheels are Mickey Thompson Classic series (NOT "Classic II")

They are Alcoa forged aluminum wheels, not cast. Good quality stuff.

They look wider than 10 to me though, probably 15x12s.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll check backspacing with the stick idea tonight and try to get a good measurement of the width, I was just guessing earlier.

I'll make the wheels available on here if anyone wants them but shipping would probably cost more than they're worth and there aren't a lot of chevy 6 lugs around here anyway.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is a 6x5.5" Chevy 1500 bolt pattern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals