• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with trans

just truckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6inch suspension 3inch body
Tire Size
33 12.50 15
Can anyone give me advice on my trans i have a 90 ranger 4x4 2.9 a4ld now my problem is my trans is on its say out again I had it rebuilt 2 times in the last 10 yrs i seen a compatible called patc they have an 4liter a4ld that they build it up it looks good but a little expensive 2600.00 and only 1 yr warranty I don't like that but my main question is will the 4.0 trans bolt up which I'm sure it does but will it operate ok meaning electronics and converter I'm asking cause I have a 4.0 a4ld sitting in my garage it needs rebuilding but since they r stronger I want to go that way but I want to make sure it will work right . Oh before someone asks I've been thinking of just switching to a manual but I haven't been able to find anything around my area everything I find is 4cylinder 2wheel drive so any help is appreciated thanks

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A4LD went through a few design changes from 85 until it was replaced by newer trans.

Biggest thing for compatability is cologne bell housing (2.8, 2.9, 4.0) and 4x4 tail housing. After that there was a change to the valve body where it went from the original 2 wire one solenoid for TCC lock to a 3 wire that had TCC lock and 4th OD shift solenoid.

You can swap the valve bodies If needed to my understanding. I believe the change happens in 87 or 88?

Your 90 should have the 3 wire version. You should be able to use a 4.0 trans that will have some internal upgrades to help handle the torque better of the 4.0 engine.

Who is your rebuilder? Sounds like they might not know this old of a trans?

They get a bad rap, but A4LD's are decent trans as long as they are kept cool and you aren't expecting to run 35's on stock gears with them.....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

1990 2.9l A4LD 4x4 and 1990-1994 4.0l A4LD 4x4 are compatible

What were the previous failures/symptoms in the A4LDs?

Good article to read here on the A4LD: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

Especially the part on whats required when rebuilding these transmissions

just truckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6inch suspension 3inch body
Tire Size
33 12.50 15
Thanks u guys for the help so I should have no problems with the 4.0 trans which is a 4x4 trans just needs rebuilding I don't know what is wrong with it I just saved it when I bought a parts truck but my trans now the problems with it well lets go back to the first time it was rebuilt it was just slipping so when that was rebuilt I got 4 yrs out of it than I had it rebuilt in 2016 had the same issues and the place that rebuilt it the guy tells me I won't have to rebuild it again well here we go again 3 times in 10 yrs but this time the trans slips a little and sometimes when I back out of my driveway I put it in drive and I get nothing until I hit the gas a couple times than it will jump in gear but the other day I was driving got up on the gas and the trans just started bucking so I get of the gas and it drove normal but I don't trust it so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do should I get that 4.0 trans that I have or get one from that company patc which they say they build a performance4.0 but the price is high and only a 1yr warranty but either way I go I should have no issues with the 4.0 trans with the torque converter I was reading that the converter is way different anyways thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals