• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Idle out of gear -- '85 2.8 with Pinto 2150 Carb

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi guys, been driving the B2 for a couple of weeks now, seems to be doing ok, but once warm it has a high idle once I take it out of gear (auto trans).

I feel like the curb idle is OK, but when I put it in park, the idle seems to climb up to high in my opinion.

Any tips on where to start looking?

Maybe my high idle side on the choke is not adjusted correctly or getting stuck?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Usually a vacuum leak will cause that

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Usually a vacuum leak will cause that
I thought about that, but I don't know where the leak could be coming from? I've only got about 3 vacuum hoses now. Brake booster, distributor, and PCV.

Guess it is time to get out the carb cleaner when the engine is warm and running and give it a little spray.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I thought about that, but I don't know where the leak could be coming from? I've only got about 3 vacuum hoses now. Brake booster, distributor, and PCV.

Guess it is time to get out the carb cleaner when the engine is warm and running and give it a little spray.
Dont overlook the carb base gasket.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Hi guys, been driving the B2 for a couple of weeks now
After all of the troubles you've had, THAT is good to hear. Hope that it continues to go well.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After all of the troubles you've had, THAT is good to hear. Hope that it continues to go well.
I'm not completely out of the woods yet, OD is not engaging on the transmission. It will be going back to the shop shortly, but my commute to work is on a highway with a 55 mph speed limit, so I just drive it in third gear now. Just trying to shake all the cob webs out of it now.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So... I did a check last night and I do believe it is a vacuum leak.

I took the carb off and tried another spacer that I had and now it is worse.....

So, I have a question.

What is the correct sealing for a carb to a intake manifold including a spacer? I have a gasket that appears to be about 1/4", but I don't believe that is to be used with a spacer?

Are there better gaskets than others?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just hold the carb up high in the air (without dripping gas on yourself) and put the gasket in position and make sure everything is covered. Do the same with the spacer.

I don't know the exact setup on the 2.8 underneath the carb, I have never had mine off. I converted mine with a duraspark II distributor and left the computer carb in place and it runs great. I did have to fiddle with the choke some. Make sure your choke is all the way open and the fast idle screw is not touching the cam on the pass side of the carb. That will make it fast idle.

Not sure what type of choke the pinto had. If it had the hot air system, you will have to rig that up for the choke to work properly. The original computer carb had a full electric choke, someone had already hooked it to the alternator and it works great also. Not hot air tubing needed.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just hold the carb up high in the air (without dripping gas on yourself) and put the gasket in position and make sure everything is covered. Do the same with the spacer.

I don't know the exact setup on the 2.8 underneath the carb, I have never had mine off. I converted mine with a duraspark II distributor and left the computer carb in place and it runs great. I did have to fiddle with the choke some. Make sure your choke is all the way open and the fast idle screw is not touching the cam on the pass side of the carb. That will make it fast idle.

Not sure what type of choke the pinto had. If it had the hot air system, you will have to rig that up for the choke to work properly. The original computer carb had a full electric choke, someone had already hooked it to the alternator and it works great also. Not hot air tubing needed.
Pinto carb was hot air and electric. I have hot air plugged and the electric hooked up to alternator. Choke is fully opening.

I think I'm going to grab some new gaskets and try again. I think the gasket I have no is for use when there is not spacer used.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ford did not make a choke that was both. The choke systems that had both connected were hot air "assist" with the electric part being the assist. The electric part on your choke does not even work unless the ambient temperature is around 60 F or higher. When the underhood temps are warm, the electric does work and makes the choke open faster.

During a cold morning start up, your choke is not working correctly. And as it gets colder in Tenn, your choke is going to have trouble opening up without the hot air. That may be your problem the choke is coming on randomly creating the fast idle from the fast idle cam.

If you still have your old computer carb, you could swap the round black piece on the carb to your carb and convert it to a full electric choke.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ford did not make a choke that was both. The choke systems that had both connected were hot air "assist" with the electric part being the assist. The electric part on your choke does not even work unless the ambient temperature is around 60 F or higher. When the underhood temps are warm, the electric does work and makes the choke open faster.

During a cold morning start up, your choke is not working correctly. And as it gets colder in Tenn, your choke is going to have trouble opening up without the hot air. That may be your problem the choke is coming on randomly creating the fast idle from the fast idle cam.

If you still have your old computer carb, you could swap the round black piece on the carb to your carb and convert it to a full electric choke.
I already swapped over the round black thermostat from 2150A carb. Like I said it is working and opening fully.

Like I said this is a hot engine problem, the choke is fully open after every drive I make and remove the air cleaner.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I looked into this more with rock autos help lol

I don't think I have my gaskets in the correct order. I ordered a replacement for the intake manifold to spacer gasket and I have the spacer to carb in the incorrect place. Once it comes in I hope this will fix my problem.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the spacer is aluminum look it over for porous spots, they used to rot out.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the spacer is aluminum look it over for porous spots, they used to rot out.
It's plastic. It's actually a new one. I think this is a gasket issue, with error on my part.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals