• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Homemade snorkel

rangerboy1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Im gonna make a snorkel on my 90 ranger 2.9 and probably my 86 ranger 2.3 since im always flooding the stock airbox out with the way its made.
Im gonna seal up the stock air box, and cut a round hole in the side of it 3" diameter.

Everyone says use PVC pipe.. well, how about 3 inch diameter food grade hose like used on a farm? :icon_idea: Its real cheap, flexible, its pretty thick, and you can see if you have water or mud inside it instead of having to take everything apart since its clear..

I found about 30 feet of it brand new on my buddys farm the other day and i dont see why it wouldnt work.. As long as i put a PVC coupling around the hose right where it would enter/exit my fender hole to prevent the hose from getting cut on my fender hole.

Does anyone see a downfall on this idea? anyone think it would work? it seems like it would be a pretty good idea for a snorkel.. :icon_thumby:

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Other than being ugly as all heck and possible UV break down I don't see why not.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The home brew snorkel has been covered many times here. You have been a member here long enough to: Try using the search.

rangerboy1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 1990
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i did search, but i didnt find any threads on using the hose like i was planning on using. :thefinger: everyone else used PVC or a snorkel kit from an suv.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
i built mine out of 3 inch pvc for my expo and used a heat wrap blanket for bending pvc and curved it with my windsheild then used a 90 into th engine bay and then another 90 to the hose that went to the airbox but took the mass air off the box and used a toilet flange with a gasket on it bolted to the mass air sensor and that worked great and sounded great but remember just cause you have a snorkle doesnt mean it stops there, you gotta extend all your breathers for tranny/trans and axles and possibly move your computer

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I used dryer tube to go from the PVC to the airbox....

Most don't use this as it is kind of fragile and is easy to break. Mine is covered by the fuse/relay box though....

Not really seen and not much of a chance for a break (or something puncturing it). Using the factory air box, I still use a factory air filter. Needs some more waterproofing (original intake mainly), but take your time and plan it out first. Once you make the cuts, you kind of have to go through with it....

PS take lots of pics and show us your work......

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I killed an engine with the dryer tube stuff before. As stated it's not that durable. I hit deep water going too fast and the force of the water tore the tubing. That was the end of my 2.9 and led me on the bigger and better things.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
After I lost my first 4.0 I modified my intake, its all under the hood too. No terrible looking plumbing out of my fender.

I just sealed the airbox up with silicone, and flipped the factory CAI snorkel upside-down, then cut it to have about 1" of clearance from the hood.
I did a write up on it a while back.
I drove it through a pond, had water rolling over the hood and up the bottom of my mirrors. The ignition did start to arc out a little, but I made it out and the air filter was dry.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I can't from my phone. Search "airbox mod/ snorkel alternative" or something like that. There are some good replies there too.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Other than being ugly as all heck and possible UV break down I don't see why not.
^^^What he said....ugly, but it would work for a while at least.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
After I lost my first 4.0 I modified my intake, its all under the hood too. No terrible looking plumbing out of my fender.

I just sealed the airbox up with silicone, and flipped the factory CAI snorkel upside-down, then cut it to have about 1" of clearance from the hood.
I did a write up on it a while back.
I drove it through a pond, had water rolling over the hood and up the bottom of my mirrors. The ignition did start to arc out a little, but I made it out and the air filter was dry.
1st mod i did...and do to 4x4,s.

no way i would consider going thru the fender.

my fenders and bed front to rear are wrinkled up....rip a fender snorkel off in short order.

i do like described above or go thru the cowl if hood height is still too low.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I used heavy duty exhaust rated hose for mine

Been that way for 7 or so years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals