• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hood scoop intake induction?

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i can see your getting a little aggrivated. ill leave you to calm down a little before we start back up.[/QUOTE]

nah just actouly getting involved on a personal level

kinda having fun

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I know there's a lot of theories both supporting CAI and against it. But, I will give you an example to ponder on. Some of the arguements made are that Ford engineers build the intake to support the engines airflow requirements and it is probably one of the best systems. But I can bust that right now...

My neighbor bought a 2007 Shelby GT350. The engine is a basically the same 300hp 3 valve 4.6L V8 found in all GTs. BUT, this engine is rated at 325hp. Well, when Eric (neighbor) popped the hood, guess what FORD installed from the factory. A FRPP cold air intake with a blue cone filter, FRPP dual exhaust, and upon further investigation a slightly different fuel curve to take advantage of the other two items. So, even Ford knows there's performance to be gained in CAIs.

Now, I am all for hearing theories and complicated reasonings. But when there is actual proof that a product makes a difference, then I believe that trumps any theory about how it won't work. Real world examples are proof, where as theories and beliefs are just educated opinions.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Gotta_gofast, fluids have a tendancy to equalize unequal pressure zones. if you have a high pressure area in front of the truck (due to the nose of the truck compressing the air) and a low pressure area in the intake tube due to the engine pulling air from it, air will naturally run from the high pressure zone to the low pressure zone.

and your comparing an engine with 76% less dispacement (and therefore roughly 76% less CFM). if 60 MPH was enough to boost a 76% smaller engine 8 HP, how much boost can you expect from a 2.3 with the same 60MPH? 76% less than 8HP? (thats less than 2HP BTW).

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
oh...

i thought you ment of the intabe tubing

ummm

do you need a cowl ?

is that what you looking for or any kind of scoop

because i was going threw the form archives the other night and the guy put 08 gt500 scoops on his and they were fintional and look awsome

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Right, Wicked... If you run the same dual 2" holes that a Hayabusa runs. Upgrade to something like a 2" x 14" shaker scoop, and you have 669% more area to catch wind, meaning about 669% more airflow. I think that'll be enough to flow and make a notable difference in the 2.3L. Also, the airpressure behind the headlight is a low pressure. Think of it as a venturi on a carburetor. The air is compressed around the headlight. This makes the air molecules "speed up" or increase velocity. This results in a low pressure behind the light where there is a "void" area. Basically, the high velocity of the air going around the headlight will create a slight vacuum behind the headlight. You can give me all the reasons in the world why the factory intake is going to be better than any aftermarket system, but when Ford themselves developes CAI in their performance division, I would have to assume there's a gain.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
what about the air resistance your hood scoop is creating?

the air speeding up around the headlight will not decrease the pressure of the air behind the headlight. after the air enters the void behind the headlight it will slow back down, making its pressure go back up.

ford, like any other manufacturer, likes to appeal to the customer. when you open the hood of a "high performance" vehicle, you expect to see a "high performance" intake. ford could have just as easily enclosed the filter and achieved the same power levels..but that wouldnt have looked or sounded as neat.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
okay, maybe we need a simpler example.

When you follow a semi-truck closely on the highway, your vehicle doesn't use as much gas because there is a slight vacuum or low pressure behind the large truck. In fact, we used to ride our bikes up 10 feet behind the semi's and turn our ignition off and leave it in neutral because the vacuum would pull us and keep us right up there. Anyways, this is a simple example of low pressure, or even a slight vacuum is created when there is an obstruction infront. Now, instead of a semi on the highway, lets say the obstruction is the headlight. Now, we have an intake directly behind the obstruction, which is our headlight. This is the same exact effect.

I am willing to bet a 3"x14" hood scoop will hardly affect wind resistance and aerodynamics. I think you're just starting to nit-pick.

There's more to a cold air intake than a fancy air filter (at least a quality one). A quality cold air intake will not only have a high flow filter, but it will use a box and seals to keep out engine bay temperatures. It will also use a larger diameter intake tube with smooth mandrel bends and as few as needed. The CAI will also have a thick plastic or insulated tube to further keep the intake charge cool. I doubt Ford (and other companies) would produce such an intake if it was not better than the factory one. It costs more for R&D to produce, and horsepower talks. So if these mods were infact dropping hp figures, they wouldn't use them. Hell, K&N figures show a 5hp increase in the rangers, with no other mods. I'm really sorry, but the whole "ford only uses it because it sounds cool" sounds a lot like previous posts like "ford only installs overdrive because it appeals to customers". I bet there's more reasoning for ford to produce a CAI than "It looks cool".

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
theres a lot more to the semi story than just low pressure. the trailing edge of the semi is flat, thus you do not have laminer flow behind a semi because the air cannot make the bend (90 degrees) to follow the surface. a semi also doesnt have a large flat surface following it as the headlight does (the headlight bucket) to catch the wind that makes its way around the semi.

the air speeds up going around the headlight because its forced through the gaps around the headlight (pressure drops as velocity increases), after it gets around the headlight it hits the headlight bucket and slows back down, thus increasing pressure back to the same level it was before it went around the headlight (whatever minute pressure a vehicle pushes in front of it as it drives down the highway).

A quality cold air intake will....use a box and seals to keep out engine bay temperatures
you mean like the stock intake system does? a K&N uses an exposed filter element with a little plastic baffle that does not seal nearly as effectivly as the stock airbox...which is 100% sealed

The CAI will also have a thick plastic or insulated tube to further keep the intake charge cool.
K&N intakes use a metal intake tube, which conducts heat quite well compared to the stock ABS plastic tube.

this has gotten so far off topic its not even funny.

the dynamic pressure increase from any sane-sized "ram air" system is not going to effect the engines performance noticeably. do a search, its easy.

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
man quit being a dick

hes spitting proof that a cold air kit improves power but your head is shoved so far up your ass you dont wanna hear it

your full of info but somtimes other people are just right buddy

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I have experience with a K&N brand CAI on my old man's F150. There is no metal tubing, and there is a box with weatherstiping to seal it against the hood. It then drops down and pulls cool air from the gap in the bumper.

Look, Ram Air is an old "tried and proven" method of increasing the output of engine horsepower as speed increases. You do not have to be going 100mph to cram air through a scoop. I plainly gave you an example. A 3" high by 14" wide opening will be sufficient for a 2.3L. It is not much of an obstruction. Stick your hand out of the window when you are on the highway... thats A LOT of air pushing against your hand. I'm pretty sure thats enough to boost the vehicle a little. Its not going to give a 2.3L amazing figures. But if it improves the engine's output by lets say 5%, well thats going to help out that little guy when it comes time to pass someone or there's a slight grade in the highway. There's dyno proof of both cold air intakes AND ram air hoods and their benefits.

But, I'm done here. To the OP, keep your vehicle stock. Its as fast as it will get. Ford's early 90's intake technology surpases all of the latest dyno-proven technology both supported by the aftermarket and Ford's FRPP (along with other companies). :rolleyes:

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
I personally don't think a Ram air is good for much, even more so on a Ranger.

Here's something for you, a 2001 Cobra was rated for 320 hp, an '03 Mach 1 that has the same exact drive train but with a ram air hood scoop is only rated for 305 hp

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You guys need to listen to Wicked on this one. A cold air intake is just that, it takes cooler air from outside the engine compartment by whatever method.

The CAI on the 05 in the picture is not a CAI. It is taking in air from inside the engine compartment.

Ram air on an stock, or near stock automobile is not workable. Not enough air speed. Do any of you have a clue as to how fast the air is moving thru the engine, and how much it is ingesting?? Look it up.

A web search will help clear the air. Here is one of the better explainations of how it works.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/148399-ram-air-fact-fiction-part-i.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/148402-ram-air-fact-fiction-part-ii.html

:)shady

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
um....
I already have the supercharger.
I meant pics of working hood scoops on rangers.
thanks anyways
You have a supercharger on what, and what type blower????:)shady

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals