• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I improve the ride?

WhiteLX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 89 ext cab short bed and the ride has been driving me nuts. It's not so bad over large dips or bumps I can feel the suspension working, bump and rebound. Its the small road transitions, patched/cracked asphalt, road reflectors, and the like that are irritating me. Over the small stuff it's like I have no suspension at all, it's extremely harsh.

It is dropped with chassis tech 3" beams up front with stock springs. In the rear I flipped the stock shackles and removed the overload leaf. The rear bump stops have been trimed just shy of the framerails. I have Bilsteins all around, Ranger replacements up front, Nissan Hardbody spec in the rear. 17x8 Mustang Bullitts with 245/45r17 Nitto 555s on all 4 corners.

I'm not expecting a Cadillac ride, but my Mustang with much firmer suspension, solid bushings, and lower profile tires rides better than this.

I've considered swapping to a 16" wheel with 245/50R16s to see if that would improve the ride, but I'd hate to spend that much money and get no improvement. I just don't understand it because it has stock springs all around and Bilsteins. I bought the Bilsteins hoping it would improve over the old generic shocks that were on it, but there was no improvement.

:icon_confused:

Last edited:

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I sell tons of Doetsch Nitro Slammers to ranger guys and everybody seems to love the ride. I have no experiance with the Bilsteins though. I thought they were suppost to be pretty good shocks.

Nosetackle63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
Replacement or lowered coils, and new/Re-arched leafs oughta do it. My ride was Caddy smooth with the front coils cut a turn. It improves the spring rate with worn out coils. I also removed the middle leaf in the pack, and again, silky smooth. Almost too spongy though. Also, replacement bumpstops and bushings all around couldnt hurt while you are at it!

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
The bilsteins are VERY good shocks, but also VERY stiff as well, especially on a lowered truck....... granted you are riding on what is overall a stock suspension, the shocks might be too stiff....... I'm with slammedxonair, the Doetsch shocks are gonna give a much better ride!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals