• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do 4x4 ranger frames vary between generations?

Xjvince

Reaction score
I am in the market for a extra cab ranger. I like all of them. I will only be using the frame and body. I already have a 460/c6/205 combo and a pair of 08 super duty axles. I know, none of that is going to fit! It will be getting coilovers and bumbs on all four corners. And it's share of tube work.

What I'm wondering is if I should focus on a certain generation do to frame things like strength, width, cross member location, ease of cleaning up and gusseting or any other reasons. I'm sure they all can be cleaned up and stiffened up, but is one a better starting point?

Thanks, Vince

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It will be getting coilovers and bumbs on all four corners
Sorry I don't have the answer you seek. However, I admire you for giving these people a home.

Screenshot_20220603-172836_Google.jpg

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am in the market for a extra cab ranger. I like all of them. I will only be using the frame and body. I already have a 460/c6/205 combo and a pair of 08 super duty axles. I know, none of that is going to fit! It will be getting coilovers and bumbs on all four corners. And it's share of tube work.

What I'm wondering is if I should focus on a certain generation do to frame things like strength, width, cross member location, ease of cleaning up and gusseting or any other reasons. I'm sure they all can be cleaned up and stiffened up, but is one a better starting point?

Thanks, Vince
I think I want to know you...anyone which can put a 460/C6/SuperDuty axles into something and pay for the gas to drive it, has to be loaded :D

For the level of change you are making there's no real standout:
'98 and newer split front from back - useful if you've got rust or damage, but that's not really your case.​
'97 and older might give you front spring buckets to start from but they'd need serious reinforcement for what you are looking at. They might be better for steering box, but again you're going to have to get creative to get past the 460 to get to it..​

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Frames were the same size from 1983 thru 2011, Bodies and axles got 2" wider in 1993 and up

Frames were 2 pieces, front and rear, joined just behind the cab
Front came in 2 lengths, regular cab and extended cab
4x4 frames were boxed on the front

Rear frames were the same for regular or extended cabs, 6ft bed, but..........there was a Long Bed regular cab, 7ft bed, it had a longer rear frame and axle was 6" farther back, so you can't put a 7ft bed on a regular rear frame, wheel wells won't line up

Rangers used coil springs on 2WD or 4x4s up thru 1997
In 1998 the 4x4s changed to torsion bars, 2WD stayed with coils, there were some 2WD models with torsion bars, EDGE I think

The 4WD front axles changed in 1998 as well so different mounting to the frame

Good page to bookmark here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Lots of "been there done that" information

The 460 has been done but its alot of modifications, the 302 barely fits at 19" wide, 460 is 26" wide

Last edited:

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I like the 88 and under bodies better and they are more amendable to the fronts being modified. I would skip the 1989-1992, and go for 1993-1997 if you like the newer looks.

Since you are making heavy mods to the body and frame, you might consider your choices depending on what you can get from this site:

Xjvince

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I meant bumps not bums lol, As in hydraulic bump stops. Yes a big block eats gas. And thank you for the actual frame info I didn’t know they were the same for so long and I didn’t know they were two piece.

Xjvince

Reaction score
I guess at this point what I am asking, is the 1998 and newer versus the 1997 and older front frame and engine crossmembers compatibility with a rear sump V8 any different when all mounts are cleaned off and the frame is boxed? Do either have a relatively high or low crossmember in the front that could hinder differential or oil pan clearance? Steering is not an issue it will be full Hydro

thanks again, I’d hate to have to go crawl around parking lots and look under peoples rigs! Vince

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Google: ford ranger 460 build

Hydraulic steering?
What are we animals
Drive by wire, throttle and steering, this is the 21st Century

I would also look at "brake by wire" and not talking about parking brake cable here

Last edited:

Xjvince

Reaction score
Yes this ain’t a small project but with all your Ranger guys giving me your bits of knowledge I can start off on the right foot thank you very much

Xjvince

Reaction score
Google: ford ranger 460 build

Hydraulic steering?
What are we animals
Drive by wire, throttle and steering, this is the 21st Century

I would also look at "brake by wire" and not talking about parking brake cable here
I’m not sure what to think, are you teasing me or don’t like what I’m doing? I’m a Ford guy and I want to build a bad ass Ford Ranger wheeler. The Hydro steering will handle the 1 ton axles and 43 inch sticky tires I plan to bounce through the rocks without tearing my frame up lol👍

Xjvince

Reaction score
With a true triangulated four link front suspension, a traditional steering box and drag link are out of the question, right? The answer, hydraulic. And even if your front suspension ain’t triangulated you don’t have a steering box to rip off your frame. We are not talking daily drivers here.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Joking

Hey, you can't hurt your frame if you go uni-body (y)

yes, that was a joke as well
Although a 460 in a Ridgeline with 43" tires would be a sight to see

Last edited:

Xjvince

Reaction score
I like humor I just wasn’t sure where this was headed thank you for your input this is the beginning of a very big project but I’m super stoked thanks to you and all who are willing to give some good knowledge 👍

Xjvince

Reaction score
I like the 88 and under bodies better and they are more amendable to the fronts being modified. I would skip the 1989-1992, and go for 1993-1997 if you like the newer looks.

Since you are making heavy mods to the body and frame, you might consider your choices depending on what you can get from this site:

Why not 89-92 ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals