• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do you identify which 2.9?

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
look at my signature.

I believe I have a 2.8 in the donor since it has a knock sensor (ended in 85), the other ranger has a 2.9 but I don't know what year since it isn't original. could be a 3.0 since there are various weird wires and sensors that I don't believe belong. They all have the same intakes

a hundred years ago you could identify the engine by the serial , which I can't find on the block.

Anybody know where and how to identify these beasts?

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
86/87 2.9L's do have a knock sensors as well the upper plenum has 2.9L written on it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The exhaust ports are also different, the 2.8L has 2 really close together. The 2.9Ls have evenly spaced exhaust ports off the heads.

The dead give away on what you have is if it has electronic fuel injector or not. Take a look in the technical library for what a 2.9L looks like, they look nothing alike from looking at the top completely assembled. If in doubt, post a pic of what you got.

Pete

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
Ok they both have the identical intake set ups with fuel injection and they say 2.9.

donor has the weird exhaust with close spacing, knock sensor. dual exhaust joining at the CAT intake if that makes any difference. since the rest of the drivetrain is 84/85 vintage, i am guessing it is really a 2.8

acceptee engine has evenly spaced exhaust, no oil sender location down by the left engine mount, no knock sensor, probably a 2.9, but what year, and where would the oil sender be otherwise?

any idea where the engine serial number is?

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok they both have the identical intake set ups with fuel injection and they say 2.9.

donor has the weird exhaust with close spacing, knock sensor. dual exhaust joining at the CAT intake if that makes any difference. since the rest of the drivetrain is 84/85 vintage, i am guessing it is really a 2.8

acceptee engine has evenly spaced exhaust, no oil sender location down by the left engine mount, no knock sensor, probably a 2.9, but what year, and where would the oil sender be otherwise?

any idea where the engine serial number is?
that doesn't make any sense, since a 2.9 doesn't bolt to a 2.8 tranny, and a 2.9 intake wont fit a 2.8. so its probably a 2.9 with a either an a4ld (auto) or m50dr1 (5-speed)

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2.6/2.8/2.9/4.0L are part of the same family and have the same bell pattern.

Sounds like you have some sort of Frankenstein engine. Water pumps I believe are somewhat different. 2.8L camshaft spins backwards, but the distributor turns the same way as the 2.9L. 2.8L has direct timing gears, 2.9L has timing chain. 2.8L has solid lifters, 2.9L has hydraulic. Will look on my 2.9L block for # location, but isn't anywhere near by right now. 2.9L will also have a star shaped oil pump drive, 2.8L will have std hex shape. Do they both have distributors in them?

Pete

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2.6/2.8/2.9/4.0L are part of the same family and have the same bell pattern.

Sounds like you have some sort of Frankenstein engine. Water pumps I believe are somewhat different. 2.8L camshaft spins backwards, but the distributor turns the same way as the 2.9L. 2.8L has direct timing gears, 2.9L has timing chain. 2.8L has solid lifters, 2.9L has hydraulic. Will look on my 2.9L block for # location, but isn't anywhere near by right now. 2.9L will also have a star shaped oil pump drive, 2.8L will have std hex shape. Do they both have distributors in them?

Pete
doesn't the transmission input shaft have a different spline count from 2.8-2.9, meaning a 2.8tranny cannot be attached to a 2.9 and vice versa?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
doesn't the transmission input shaft have a different spline count from 2.8-2.9, meaning a 2.8tranny cannot be attached to a 2.9 and vice versa?
Swap clutch discs. :icon_twisted:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All Rangers have the same spline. '83/'84 had the pilot bearing in the crank, All the rest of the Cologne engines had the pilot bearing in the flywheel. The crank is still cut the same distance. The LONG shaft trans will work just fine in all the Cologne engines.

I don't get the EFI intake and Siamese exhaust ports.? Either someone did some crafty cobbling or someone didn't pay close enough attention.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The only real way to help us out is it put pics. on for us.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals