• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do you take the clutch pedal out? 89 ranger

fordman8991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
89 broncoII/ 89 ranger 4x4 converting to manual trans. pedal assembly is coming out of a 89 broncoII

i've been fighting the thing all night. how do you take the clutch pedal assembly out of the damn truck? i can't move it over far enough to get it all the way out or the brake pedal off. its practically against the kicker panel already not to mention the huge wiring harness? help asap please. its getting cold up here lol

sorry for posting here just need quick results

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It seems to me there is a clip you can unbolt to move the harness over a little. Get a light so you can look around up there. Most of the people say to unbolt the whole assembly. The pedal will come out though. I've done it a few times. It has been a while now though. I do know that I had to push quite hard against that harness. I also know that it doesn't take long at all to seperate the harness right there. Maybe that would be the way to go.
A lot of us just read the 'new posts' so it doesn't matter were you post it, it will get the same results. What I mean is, you should always post in the proper forum.

Last edited:

fordman8991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
its the main harness. the one that goes thru the firewall. i undid it and it was just i the way even more and there really is no where to move it to

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
on an 89, my dad claims the dash needs to come out. on my 87, i took the whole assembly out. its only the 4 bolts that hold the brake booster, and pull the steering column. then you can work on a bench

Joe400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you can unblolt and remove the parking brake assembly, you can just barely slide the brake pedal with the shaft off. The brake pedal is attached to a shaft that the clutch slides on to, when its off the clutch pedal will just fall off. Its a real pain and took me awhile to figure it out.

good luck!

fordman8991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if you can unblolt and remove the parking brake assembly, you can just barely slide the brake pedal with the shaft off. The brake pedal is attached to a shaft that the clutch slides on to, when its off the clutch pedal will just fall off. Its a real pain and took me awhile to figure it out.

good luck!
yes it is i pita! i got it out last night. ended up dropping the dash and unbolting the pedal housing to get it out:temper: i was thinking if the e-brake came out it could possibly work but i wasn't gonna waste my time with that considering i already had the pedal housing unbolted. putting it in my truck was not that fun either. unbolted the housing hooked up a tie down ratchet and pulled it to the pass side. too the spring out of the e-brake and barely pried it into place with a pry bar. thank god its in because its not coming back out lol. hope to button up the interior today and get everything ready for the trans to go in. when this is done i shall do a right-up possibly because there is some tricky stuff you need to know.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, i think you did it the easiest way by taking the whole dash out. i screwed with mine for 2 or 3 nights because the manual says you can just slide it off, but i just couldnt get enough room by sliding the shaft over. i did an auto to manual trans swap on my 90' 3 years ago. it took me a little under a month to to a motor swap, trans swap, rear end and leaf springs, interior, and abunck of other little things. now im going to do it on a 94. my girlfriend thinks im crazy and stupid, but thats probabaly why i love my truck more than her.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No the dashboard doesn't need to come out, but in my personal experience the steering column does.

I simply remove the entire pedal support.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals