• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to tell if the cltuch needs replacing?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That clutch disk is good.

There's a little bit of third world in me so I vary from other people. But a clutch isn't like brakes. A clutch is more digital--on or off. If it's not on or off, it's frying. Brakes, you sometimes need just a little. The point is, brakes discs to me need to have a better surface than a flywheel/pressure plate.

Here's what I would do. Sand both the plate and flywheel with emery paper and a wood block to break the glaze. Then put it back together.

I've been stoned to death with E-brickbats so many times it no longer fazes, but I've lived in places where I learned that you seriously can drive without a carburetor if you get the fuel to drip into the manifold at the correct rate--and that you don't need brakes if you train your passengers well enough to jump out and haul the taxi to a stop.

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
everything looks good enough to throw back in. I myself would get a new throwout bearing just because I hate to R&R trannies. the throw out bearing will be on the tranny slave cyl, the round thing in the center of the bell housing on the front of the tranny. the flywheel has the correct bolts and the disc has to be installed with the thick mulit layered side towards the transmission. You will need a pilot tool, something that fits in the center bearing of the flywheel (like a 2 inch long bolt) with enough tape wrapped on it at the top so that the clutch disc will just fit {to center the disc over the pilot bearing,} otherwise the tranny will be a Bi*ch to bolt together. 6 clutch bolts will fit in the outside flywheel holes and be about 1 inch long with a washer built in. should have 3 or 6 bars on the head touching the points of the hex (grade 5 or 9 bolts)
the tranny is in the truck and im putting the engine in do i still need the alighnment tool?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah...it's much easier to have it. When you're putting the two together you want the clutch disc aligned with the pilot bearing because it is incredibly hard to get everything lined up and back together. You can get the alignment tool at any parts store.

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
alright what does the bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel look like

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Umm...they just look like bolts?? Do you not have them?

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a big box full of bolts lol i dont know what they look like

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
anyone help me out?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Should be six of them, about 3/4" long if I remember right. I guess just look through your box and find some that fit, they are probably grade 8s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals