• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

howlinghuskies "frankenranger" build

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Better late then never lol decided it was time to start my build thread. Ill try to bring it up to date as best as i can but theres already alot done to it and still more to come.

To start with i got the truck from my grandpa on trade for a topper for a long bed chevy half ton. Its an 87 and only had 100,000 miles when i got it. Apartlly its now on its 4 engine and 4th tranny if you count the "rebuild" on the a4ld. The original motor burned oil like crazy was replaced and that one was worse so another one was put in and was in when i got it then i put one in still have the other one which we figured probably is fine

How she sat when i got her

When i got her my dad said it sounded like there was a bearing going bad in the engine so picked up a parts truck for 200 with a good 2.9 and a blown 2 wheel drive a4ld pulled the engine and these

Well not even 500 miles later the a4ld goes out and wont engage into any gears even with manual putting it in each gear so out it came in in went this its a fm145 (that was all the junkyard had for a 4x4 5 speed) $200 for anything i needed so no more auto or electric shift

We also pulled the window regulators and swapped them out. well in the process of doing that my dad smashed the passenger side window so we pulled one out of the bronco 2 the tranny came out of and put it in. no problem however both of the doors the window stripping ended up breaking so off to the junkyard we went and got these

We also got door panels and a dash trim for nothing ;)

I also shortly after ended up picking up some new tires for $200 for 5 of them with less than 1000 miles on stock jeep rims. however they rims had to much offset so they hit the tierod ends. so i picked up a set of 15x7 rims from another member

All was good for about 10,000 miles til the tranny started making funny noises so out it came and in went a new fm145. after pulling it out we determained that for sure the input bearing was shot and possibly other bearings too as it made noise in every gear but 4th. We also ended up swapping shifter boots as the old one was torn bad. Anyone wanna guess what it came out of?

I also got tired of the old style badges so i swapped on some newer ones off a second gen

I also picked up a dome light from a 93. however i cant get it to turn on with the door closed even after adding a wire

I got sick of the paint on the door panels and the fact that they were nothing but plastic so i picked these up off craigslist along with a spare set of tail lights for $30

Just today i painted my axles frame and the hitch part of the rear bumper. the axles are forest green the frame is flat black and the bumper is earth brown.

I also picked up a Sony GT520 out of an explorer at the junkyard

Finally some pics of the outside

I also removed the little cover that was over the intake tube behind the grille as it was all bent up. funny thing was i found a lugnut in the tube.

Ive also swapped out computers twice now once when we put in the 5 speed and another afterwords to get rid of the egr code. the new computer is out of a 91 i just had to add a wire at pin 8 for the fuel pump monitor

I picked up the tonneau cover off craigslist for $50 off a 99 ranger its a torza trifold cover. As for the amsoil stickers i have to be honest the only thing with amsoil in it is the tranny. I run Rottela T 10/30 in the engine and i have no clue whats in the axles and the transfer case has what ever atf we had laying around

Still to come:
fix original doors (i have the parts finally)
swap beds with the rust free one i picked up off a 89 funny thing was the only rust was on the tailgate and the dealer sticker says the truck was from madison
4bt swap (eventually)
either nv4500 or nv5600 to go with the 4bt
Install the westin tube steps i picked up off craigslist for like $50 i think they came off an 01 explorer sport im just going to make custom brackets to the frame and theyll look like they were made for it the length is perfect
Install the Orion amp i bought for subs once i get them. I was given two older 10" i dont know what brand tho i still have to get them
Install the dual pipes once i make it up its going to be single from the cat to about where the muffler is now then split to duals and go back and straight back to dual vance and hines harly glass pack mufflers

Last edited:

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgot that i also pulled the front sway bar and it made a HUGE improvement on how the truck rides even with 45 psi in the tires

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not much of an update but rotated my tires and the rear wheels are still wobbling. I think its time to find out a price on the 8.8 limited slip 3.73 rear axle from the junkyard that the rest of my parts came from well most of them like the trans n other drivetrain parts other than the rear driveshaft that came from california as none of the yards around here had the one i needed and i wasnt about to pay $300 for a new driveshaft to be made up. Also changed my oil and gotta say switching to rotella t 10/30 was the best thing ive done over 5000 miles n no sludge and still looked new. that is with a motorcraft filter. Before with quacker state i didnt even hit 3000 before idle oil pressure was done to like 10 psi. The rotella t still had like 25 psi. So any way on the rear axle do you guys think i should rebuild it right away? the limited slip should be enough the truck is my daily driver and i just want to not have to put it in 4x4 as often

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did some more painting

also got the tube steps temporarily mounted just bolting them to the body do you think there good where they are or raise them up more?

I also removed the trim panel on the tailgate now to decide if i want to leave it off and put in button head bolts to fill the holes or put it back on what do you guys think? decided i didnt like the step part of the bumper brown so it got painted black

The brushguard that was on the truck when i got it

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and i can get the rear 8.8 3.73 limited slip for $75 for the whole axle

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not much of an update but going to get the axle Saturday gonna also try and find a new drivers side front fender

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well the axles been put on hold for now no money sometimes it sucks workin part time minimum wage and going to college an hour away full time

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i think i want a leveling kit for it now i know i can get skyjacker lift coils for $152 from summit. Any other ways i can level it for maybe cheaper? i know i want new coils as it sags a bit in the front also would a leveling kit be enough to fit 31s? i decided i want to go with goodyear wrangler mt/r kevlar when the set i have now wears out im looking at 31x10.50x15 they would be getting mounted on the 15x7s i have and i believe they have 3.5 inches back spacing but i dont recall for sure

Last edited:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There should be a way. Check out the tech library in the suspension area.

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i ran 31's on mine stock on stock rims....minimal rub at full turn

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as far as leveling goes, i believe you can space bottom of coil up 1.5" without throwing alignment off too terribly.

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so with yours being the high rider if i leveled it so it sat 2 inches higher i should be fine assuming my leafs arent worn and sagging?

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes. you're leveling front to match back correct?

howlinghuskie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes and maybe helper springs in the back to take care of the slight sagging and the fact that it doesnt take much load to push the back down. so the back might still be a slight bit higher but that i wouldnt mind

randallmain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
best then to use an add-a-leaf first. then measure from ground to top of rear fender , then space front to match, or slightly over due to weight of front end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals