• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I eat torsens for breakfast.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can you believe that an automatic did this?

Just own up to it already Ford.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
holy crap...man that oil looks NASTY...and those teeth need a dentist :D

Know what you mean though, too bad Ford wont man up.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
There was actually a recall at one time for the torsen rear diffs in the early FXII trucks..... I know the dealer here pulled one and replaced it with a truetrac because ford was taking it's sweet time getting a replacement torsen.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Having seen them off-road they are totally unimpressive, add the fact they like to explode and I don't see anything great about them...

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
holy crap...man that oil looks NASTY...and those teeth need a dentist
Yeah, lots of shavings. It was just changed 6,000 miles ago and filled back up with nice, clean, golden synthetic.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you have the exact year for it to be a bad one. At least you got 8 years out of it.

HMMWVs have Torsens--3 I think, though there is a center-lock on the t-case to bypass the middle one. They work well in those because the slipping wheel is a 37" mud terrain with a Humm-vee sitting on it. It doesn't make much sense in a little pickup that weighs maybe 1,400 on the rear axle. With the Torsen, there is about 2.5x the torque sent to the wheel that isn't slipping compared to the one that is slipping. SO you have 700# of tire sitting on a patch of ice and able to deliver 15# of torque--the tire on dry pavement can push with 40# of torque. With a real locker, the tire on the dry part can push with 500#, or whatever the friction coefficient is of cold rubber on dry pavement. Pick up a tire with a Torsen and zero x2.5 is still zero. WIth a 4x4 it's no big deal because you have the other end still on the ground. But offroad, it's kind of nice having both ends contributing.

So when you replace that axle, maybe get a standard carrier and a LockRight or get a Detroit No-SPin which comes with the carrier.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The rear axle of my 02 was replaced under recall because of the Torsen. The Torsen is basically just a limited slip with a higher ratio torque transfer than the stock limited slip. Once I learned to use it I found out under acceleration it almost acts like a locker. When starting from from a stop, the both tires will initially start to spin even if one has low traction. Then the limited slip function begins to work and will spin only one tire if it has zero traction. It also seems as long as you can accelerate, you can get better than the 2.5 torque transfer ratio.

I have used the Torsen off-road a fair amount and find it better than the stock limited slip but I think it falls well short of a lockers capability. Hoever, it does not have the undesirable street characteristic of a locker. I am happy with the Torsen but would like to have a selectable locker for the front to go with it.

I was wondering if the automatics with the same Torsen as the manual recalled ones were going to have problems with age. It seems they can have problems. Ford should at least contribute something to the replacement of a broken recall era Torsen with automatic transmissions.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So when you replace that axle, maybe get a standard carrier and a LockRight or get a Detroit No-SPin which comes with the carrier.
To be honest, I don't have the knowledge to pull parts and replace things inside the rearend, so I just rolled another assembly in there. I know it's probably going to do the same thing but it's what I had to do.

Good explanations Will and gw33gp.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Like somebody here already said, the trucks with the auto tranny's didnt get to be put in the recall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals