• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I gave in.....I was weak.....

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
Ok..... I gave in....I finally see why so many 2.9 guys swap to 4.0...I drove a 1992 4.0 the other day...and loved it...now I own it and plan to swap in in my 1989 4x4 short bed/standard cab. I plan to use my original tranny and everything back. I plan to also swap the ENTIRE harness so no cutting has to be done for plug and play. The only question I have is.... For the wires that go to the fuel tank and also the transmission do i also have to swap those over with the 4.0 harness or can they plug right into the 4,0 harness connectors with no problem? They both are EFI.... any info is appreciated.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the entire harness when I did my swap, and the 2.3L fuel pump wires plugged right into the harness of the 4.0. Mine was a manual. The colors on the wires were exactly the same for the fuel pump. Swap was 1990 4.0 into 1991 2.3 ranger.

I also swapped out the whole dash for the tach, which wasn't bad at all.

The harness was really intimidating, but its not as bad as it looks once you get started. Just make sure to be methodical and its a piece of cake. It looks like black magic but its nothing to worry about. I didn't get to take it out of the donor, so nothing was marked and I still was able to figure it out.

Now I mark all the plugs with a black or silver sharpie before disconnecting and it goes back together alot faster.

Best way to know for sure if it will work is to get started ASAP. Good luck! Its really not that big a deal to splice a couple wires.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
How about your fuel lines? Were those simple plug and play? or is it better to just swap over everything?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals