• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need help !!

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My truck is at the moment a found on road dead, : (
i just got back and my truck is left at a local fire road, its 3:00 oclock im not thinking straight so here it gos,
i was just about to drive back on the main road from the dirt trail and it did some bouncing and trying to get up this hill and then my engine shut off,
I tried to crank it back over, no start, i have full battery its cranking over fine, but when i turn the key i do not hear the fuel pump engage, i thought it was the inertia shut off switch but i tried to reset it, nothing, took the wires off, tried it,nothing. shorted the wires together, nothing, it only started for a moment at first then died, it seems like its getting robbed of fuel, I had my friend in his truck try to get me to the main road, it only resulted in 3 broken head lights and a cracked window(GREAT !). I waited an hour for a tow truck only to find out that they wont get me out, he took a look at my truck and said it was the fuel pump.So i need to know what part to buy in the morning so i can go back to my truck and get to work in the after noon, i would not like to leave it there for very long because it is traveled quite often and dont want a breakin

im sorry i know i sound like a total newbie but i need help

91redneckranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 2WD Ranger
Transmission
Manual
did you try juggling some relays around for the fuel pump? i had that happen to a friend of mine. he dump money into a new pump and it still didnt work...i went down there with a spare relay, changed it out, and it ran like a champ. try that first, then make sure your getting power to the pump, if you are then chances are the pump itself is bad

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
also check the connections to the fuel pump and the harness connections leading to the pump.

klogtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could be just a blown fuse. had that to happen to.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not to post whore but, my dads truck just did similar,
would the 2 tanks have diffrent relays?

o its a 96 f250, 5.8, dual tanks
thanks guys

and ya id say look for a relay or fuse

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That happened to my maxda, i got a new relay it was perfect

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok , a new relay, ill try that

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
and if it was the Inertia Fuel shutoff switch wouldn't completing that circuit, bypass the switch because i did that and still nothing,

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
lil red, just one relay for all the pumps. And yes philzilla, I'd say it's probably a relay.

Did you notice any difference in performance in that last few days, weeks, whatever? In my experience fuel pumps don't just "go out"...they'll last a while and it will run good sometimes, then like crap, then great again.

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
here are all the love marks the rocks left on my truck, dumb ass spinning his tires at least i have 1 light thats not cracked

I got a friend to tow me to a street and i got it towed
as far as whats wrong i still don't know
I tried replacing the relay but nothing changed, power was going into the relay but there was no power at the pump, something in between there is messed up, im pretty sure its not the pump because i havnt heard any extra noise from it latly and everything has been acting fine, when i was driving it was bouncy and thats when my engine stoped running normally fuel pumps go bad after you turn the car off not durring
its being looked over at a local shop, im hoping its not a new pump because that would cost quite a bit

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
here are all the love marks the rocks left on my truck, dumb ass spinning his tires at least i have 1 light thats not cracked

I got a friend to tow me to a street and i got it towed
as far as whats wrong i still don't know
I tried replacing the relay but nothing changed, power was going into the relay but there was no power at the pump, something in between there is messed up, im pretty sure its not the pump because i havnt heard any extra noise from it latly and everything has been acting fine, when i was driving it was bouncy and thats when my engine stoped running normally fuel pumps go bad after you turn the car off not durring
its being looked over at a local shop, im hoping its not a new pump because that would cost quite a bit
did you try jumping the connector in place of the relay? does it have spark? if no spark and no fuel, it could be the eec power or eec relay.

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I didnt try that, i just tried the new relay in place of each one and none of them changed anything

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I didnt try that, i just tried the new relay in place of each one and none of them changed anything
each relay is different too, the eec relay and the fuel relay have 2 different part numbers. the two largest spades on the relay (and the corresponding connectors on the socket) are the 'always on' and the 'power to device' and what i would try first is using a paperclip or similar to jump from one terminal to the other. this will act like the relay has turned on. if you fuel pump turns on, you have greatly narrowed down your problem. also keep in mind that there is a chance that you have fried that relay by putting it in the wrong spot (i cant say for sure though, but i do have 2 relays that i think i have fried like that)

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the inertia switch to me. Feel around at the top edge of the carpet above where the front passengers left foot would be. There is a switch there with the wiring running over to the computer. At the top of the switch is a button inside of a protective shield so you have to put your finder down in the shield to push it. If it snaps down, that was the problem.

Last edited:

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE******
ok so while i was at work they checked it out and well, IT WAS A BAD GROUND WIRE !!!! how embaracing, im just glad its fixed now. it was a ground off the battery i believe, my battery holder slipped and a bump caused the wire to get pulled out. A 3 broken lights, cracked window,waiting till 3 in the morning for a tow, all to find out its a bad wire.

Thanks everyone for your help, i was convinced it was the inertia switch, and played around with it for about 30 minutes, but i guess not.
Will you live in brown county ? i go up there every summer my grandpa owns some land up there, i heard it got real torn up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals