• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle issues

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 91 Ranger with the 3.0 in it. Previous owner basically did a top end job on motor and still couldn't get it running. First look he had the firing order incorrect. Once I got that correct and the distributor reset so it starts easy, but now I still have the transmission shifting slightly hard when first put into gear from park, it doesn't want to stay running due to irratic idleing until it warms up some and when stopping at lights it idles around 600 and the truck shakes like it has a miss in it. Any ideas? :annoyed:

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
maybe egr clogged? Are all your electrical connections correct? Vaccum maybe? how are the plugs lookin?

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
EGR s new. As far as I can tell, all electrical connections are fine. Thought of vacuum lines maybe being backwards, but haven't found another around here with a 3.0 to check against. My 2.9 is way different. I know vacuum lines to charcaol canister are all correct, but that's it. Have more vacuum lines under hood than the stupid vacuum line diagram shows, so I don't know for sure what else is right. Anybody got a good diagram to help?

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
get yourself a chilton $20, not as good as alldata tho. the vac system is pretty easy on the rangers. Could be the Idle Air Controller, the Throttle Position Sensor. Does the truck always idle rough? Could be MAF sensor NOTE: Do you have an A4LD trans? I just looked in my chilton and found there is a vaccum going to your transmission from the vaccum dist block, I don't know if that will effect you shifting from P to D. Could very well be the prob. Loss of vac to the diaphram=shifting prob? Maybe? :icon_confused:

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Has vacuum to tranny. It is connected. Don't know what type of tranny it is yet. Can you find the same diagram in Haynes. Have one of them already, but may be looking in the wrong spot. Haven't seen anything on vacuum lines in there yet.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for info on tranny type. Took the IAC off and cleaned it. Put it on, was still running the same way. Tried unplugging IAC while running and didn't change anything. Kept idling the same with no rise or fall in idle speed. Don't know if that's good or bad.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah, think part of the hard shifting is one of my motor mounts. Not for sure yet, but looked like it was split.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Would it hurt to get the IAC from a junk yard? If not, does it matter what size engine it comes off of? Looks the same on my 2.9 and my 3.0.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Figured on more than one, but junk yard here actually gives 30days on all parts. Just know most of them there are 4.0's actually.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Found one for a 3.0, but it was a newer year so I had to take the harness to plug it in also. One in my truck wouldn't plug into it. Tried it out and when unplugged while running it dropped the RPM's and Raised after replugging. It is still idling with a shake throughout the whole truck when in park or even in gear. It also stalled on me a couple times today like backing out the drive and switching from Reverse to drive it would stall. Reminder, it is an automatic.
Oh, I did also disconnect battery to reset.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals