• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing a JET Performance Chip

PRERUNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Extreme
Transmission
Automatic
Okay for the life of me I cannot find where the JET chip goes on my 94ish (built 11/94) Ranger 2WD Super Cab goes.

I looked in all the places the book that came with the chip said to, but no luck. A guy I was working with has a 1999 and he showed me where his went, mine did not have the same spot.

Here is where I thought it would be, but am I missing something, I am not the Ranger Expert, or stock truck expert, so any help would be great as I am waitting on my new 4.3 to be delivered but they recomend the chip as well...

Last edited:

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is located on the rear of my computer, you have to pull the computer out of the firewall and there is a port on the rear where the chip plugs in. I never knew I had one until I was doing my heater core replacement and pulled my dash. That is when I saw the chip in the back of the computer - I have a 95 Std cab 4.0 5 spd BTW.

Hope that helps . . .

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I know on mustangs there is a port on the back side of it, i'm assuming the same on a ranger. You see where your comp is sticking out of the firewall and is plugged in? Try removing your computer and looking on the backside of it, might have a sticker over the port. Or u could try looking under your dash for the back side of the computer and try it that way.be sure to clean the contacts of the port and the chip to make a good connection, i've also seen people use duct tape to hold the chip in firmly and to try and keep it from wiggling loose.

PRERUNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Extreme
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I have looked in the passenger kick panel, under the dash with no luck, I will head to a mechanic to pay him $20 just to point it out, unless someone can say, it's there in the picture...

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where did you get the jet chip from? Also let me know how it helps you after you get it sorted out. I have been wanting to get a chip for mine. Im not sure where to put it either though lol

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like it is on the passenger side firewall at the top. It should be simple with the instructions in the TRS2 thread Hazmat Ranger posted.:icon_cheers:

jgertsch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission
Manual
...let me know how it helps you after you get it sorted out. I have been wanting to get a chip for mine. ... lol
Yeah, are these worth buying? How much do they really help? How bad do they hurt gas mileage? How hard are they on the engine? I have close to
160K on my engine and I'd hate to blow it up (although I've been looking for an excuse to do an engine swap).

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, are these worth buying? How much do they really help? How bad do they hurt gas mileage? How hard are they on the engine? I have close to
160K on my engine and I'd hate to blow it up (although I've been looking for an excuse to do an engine swap).
I cannot give you before and after changes, but I have over 170K on my 4.0 and she runs like a champ. Mileage is "close" to 20 mpg. Of course that all depends on my driving method . . .

jgertsch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission
Manual
I cannot give you before and after changes, but I have over 170K on my 4.0 and she runs like a champ. Mileage is "close" to 20 mpg. Of course that all depends on my driving method . . .
So you'd recommend one?

Also, does anyone know of other brands of chips that might work with Rangers?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
In your pic...

about middle vertically (just a litle lower)
far right side
There is a rectangular connector with a whack of wires. Takes (I believe) a 10mm socket to remove the connector and the bolts top and bottom. Remove the harness first then the bracket. The computer will slide right out. My '94 Jet chip for a 3.0 had all the wrong instructions for it as well.
Once the computer is out there is a taped over port on the back (opposite the harness connector), beneath that is the circuit board connector (clean it well with an electrical contact cleaner and emery cloth). Be careful not to damage the board or connectors, be delicate remember.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you'd recommend one?

Also, does anyone know of other brands of chips that might work with Rangers?
Without knowing what it was like before, I cannot give an informed answer to that. I would have to drive another truck without it to see what the difference would be.

PRERUNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Extreme
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I am installing it right now, I got the box out, installed the chip and had to go pee from all the beer LOL it was Ice Tea, I will post pictures and helpful hints, but getting the computer out is like trying to get 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5 lbs bag
:shout:

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I am installing it right now, I got the box out, installed the chip and had to go pee from all the beer LOL it was Ice Tea, I will post pictures and helpful hints, but getting the computer out is like trying to get 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5 lbs bag
:shout:
I feel your pain, I got pretty good at removing and putting it back in on my old 3.0. Too bad I can't remember what tricks I had found to make it easier.

PRERUNR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Extreme
Transmission
Automatic
Okay Folks, I have done it... :yahoo: it took about an hour and a half as I was not really hurrying, but it is simple to do. You need a 10MM and a 12MM socket and that is all (I used deep sockets).

Here is the wiring unit removed

and then the ECU removed

There is one 10 mm bolt to release the wiring harness which is right in the middle of the wiring harness (shown in the top picture at the 3 o'clock hour -white and red thing or above at the 7 o'clock hour). Once that is unscrewed you will have a little problem pulling it off, not that it is tight, but the wires have sat in that position for many years (depending on your vehicles age of course), there are two guides on the right hand side closet to the fender, so you need to slide it as straight out as you can.

Then once that is done, there is a 10mm nut just above the wiring harness holding a weather sealing thingy, remove that one and here is the a picture of where you will find the 12mm nut for the bottom and remove that weather sealing thingy.

You will then see the ECU and you will think eureka, but now will come the fun part, the great guys at Ford do not give you any more room to get that ECU than is absolutely necessary. Grab the wires and move them out of the way, release the plastic holder holding the wires to the fender well, be a brute just not stupid.

Once it is out the rest is easy, follow the instructions and remove the dust cap thingy and clean the terminals, slide your chip in and throw that tape on (mine was such a tight fit, I wonder if I needed the tape, but I put it on anyways).

You are ready to put it back in, once again it will take a little force, but it is much easier getting it in that getting it out. Oh yeah, by the way, remember those guides I talked about easier, it does matter where they go, so look at your wiring harness that you took off and make sure that you install the ECU back in the hole with the guides on the right side so the wiring harness and the weather sealing thingy go right on.

Put the ground back on the battery and fire that baby up!

I will repost the mileage and horsepower benefits tomorrow after I go out to Santee, California (Yes, The Off Road Racing Capital of the World) and come back over this one hill as I know my previous speeds with my foot on the floor board, I hope that it will be better tomorrow.

Next on my truck is the Dual Optima Yellow Tops in a Artec Welding Extreme Battery Mount shown here, Hey I need my stereo while prerunnig the course...

http://www.artecwelding.com/

:icon_hornsup:
More pictures of my PRERUNR can be seen at:
http://www.theoutlawcompany.com/prerunr/

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals