• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake and Exhaust, tuning required?

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So Custom intake with K&N filter and dynomax cat back system. do i need to have my EFI remapped? what would be the benefit of having it tuned? worth the money? im looking at putting some 31in tires on it currently. how much would this help me with moving the larger tires?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that won't do much of anything, and modern engines adjust themselves with the oxygen sensor and the mass air flow meter

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I tried a different intake plenum and I went with a 2.5" catback exhaust and while it does seem a bit spunkier, it's not a huge difference, and it's all pretty much above 3,000rpm that I notice. Being our 3.0's are more rev happy than some motors (peak HP is around 4750rpm) it does seem to have more high end for passing and stuff, but I don't notice a huge difference otherwise. Going too large with exhaust will hurt backpressure, but betwene the 4.10's and the slushbox, I don't notice anyways. The intake was a waste of time over factory, but I do feel I got my money's worth for the exhaust. As far as "mapping", my shop claims my higher flowing exhaust was causing a "lean condition" and was tripping my CEL and they had it for 4 days trying to solve the issue before drawing that conclusion. I'm more apt to believe it was bad fuel because after switching from E85 (which I ran at the time) to gas for two tanks, and now back to E85, the CEL has never returned since I ran gas. Unless you're cracking the motor open and REALLY modifying the hell out of internals, I don't see the sensors failing to adjust for any (slight) difference from intake and exhaust.

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys. i have a yamaha R1 and did the same bolt ons to that and when i had it dyno tuned it improved both bands accross the board and increased throttle response. so i didnt know if it would be needed on this motor or not.

muddin'ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dont see where it would hurt but prolly would be a waste of money for the gain.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals