• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intake Questions for a 351W

4TTF2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6 soon to be 351w
Transmission
Manual
i bought a 351W from a buddy of mine and i need a bunch of stuff for it...

its a 1972 bored 4 thousands over with a cam in it "not for sure what it is" and a high volume oil pump, and planning on putting a new 4 inch stroke crank in it.

what would be the best intake manifold and carb for this? i was planing on going 4 barrel and my friend told me to go with edelbrock but im not for sure what to look for. can someone help please?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You do realize if you go with a 4.000 stroke you will be changing rods also. Depending on what rod bolts you use you will have to do some clearance grinding also. If you are building this up you will probably need to pull that cam to at least find out what it is or toss it for something more suited to make more power. If you use a dual sump pan very good chance the oil pump is too big to fit under it correctly, just swap it back to a standard pump. For the intake everyone has a preference to brands. If you are looking for a good low to mid range power any dual plane intake will work well. Single planes look much better in my book but are really best for higher rpm horsepower. Edelbrock for instance, the performer will be a dual plane, the super victor is a single plane.

Matt

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
If you are building a stockish engine, get a Performer. If you want a bit more and a more aggressive engine, get a Performer RPM.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm going to be different here and say you may want a single plane for a 4" stroke crank, depending on the heads and where you want it to make power. At a minimum, you'll want a Performer RPM Airgap. And also, it's more likely bored .040 over, not .004

Windsor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Headers or manifolds? Exhaust is very tight with the 351w in the ranger. I made 1-3/4" out side of the frame headers to make mine work. I'm running a 351w with a victor JR intake and a pro-systems 750 racing carb. All of the above intakes would be a good choice and a good 650-750 holley would be my carb of choice. I would look into the exhaust issue first. if the exhaust can't flow too well then that may determine what type of intake you should go with.

motorbill87

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L/4.6L
Transmission
Automatic
Headers or manifolds? Exhaust is very tight with the 351w in the ranger.

I was running the Edelcock performer dual plane for about 6 months, have the exploder 5.0 "tubeular" headers and a holley 650 double pumper with a mild cam. just installed a new high rise single plane intake and it now runs like holy dog shit because the engine is taking in more air than it can get out due to those shit headers.........so dont go the cheap route on exhaust or you'll regret it like me. if you can make your own or have someone make some for you.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I seen mentioned edelbrock performer/performer rpm camshafts. Don't do it, that is a very outdated profile.

Also, I must point out that any factory windsor head will not flow efficiently for a mild 351w, let alone a 408ci motor. If you are going to stroke it, or even use a single plane intake as mentioned earlier, your factory heads will restrict the motor and defeat the performance that these parts have to offer. I'm not saying your truck won't run, but you'll gain more for your buck by matching head/cam/intake to your 351ci motor than you would by stroking a stock motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals