• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It finally took a poop

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
I had my truck in the shop to re-torque my new headers and exhaust the other day and when I went to check the oil... well, it was about 3/4" above the full mark. I pulled the drain plug and a mix of antifreeze and oil came out. About 7 years ago it developed an external head gasket leak on the driver's side head and I put Alumaseal in it and it held that long. I guess what my question is what are the chances that the heads are cracked? It has never been hot once. Also, what is the deal with having to remove the engine just to change the timing set? Thanks in advance. Josh
________
Yamaha libero (g5) specifications

Last edited:

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
Out of 20 views no one knows about this? I know about engines but have not worked on a 4.0 before. Anyone? Josh
________
TOYOTA TYPE A ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited:

30coupe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, like you, I have never worked on the 4.0, but it is possible that the head is cracked. It is also possible that the gasket let go between cylinders and the heads just need to be planed.

The timing set question, I can't answer, but if you have antifreeze in the oil, I'd pull the motor anyway and tear it down. If you ran it for any length of time with the antifreeze in the crankcase, you'd better check the mains. While you are in there, a new oil pump would be wise as well.

I don't know specifics about this motor, but that's probably how I would approach the situation. It's a heck of a lot easier to work on them outside the truck, and since you will have to pull the wires and hoses anyway, you might just as well pull the motor out and make life easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals