• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It has begun! (Official Trucks! TV 4.6L Mazda B-Series / Ford Ranger build)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Ah didnt know that. Couldnt you still make the b2 rear tank work for a ranger. Not really familiar with this. Seems like theres the same space for the rear tank on either the B2 or the ranger.
Oh ya you can make a b2 tank work, you have to cut or raise the bed floor though for it to fit correctly. A b2 tank is 23 gallons compared to the rear ranger tank which is 13 gallons.

that has a really generic description, doesn't really say what its for, and the picture is of a 70s F-150 rear tank :dunno:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
A 4.6 in a ranger great fit. I love my mustang 4.6 and t-45 makes the truck so much fun to drive. I have put over 11,000 miles on mine just last year. Now im just putting together the parts for 10 lbs of boost cant wait until I can play with my 450hp ranger

[ IMG]http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/carllkid/DSC02214.jpg[/IMG]
do you have a picture of the engine bay???

4.6stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a few on my computer but they are real messy before I cleaned it up. I will see what I can find.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man I wish I had Cable so I could catch this....just looked it up on the website, looks like its going to be airing this sunday :( curse cable tv lol. Good Luck on the project looks like its going to be bad ass cant wait to see it on tv :) Hope fully they will have the episodes on the site after it airs on Tv cause I want to see this project as it comes along :D

fomoco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i missed it today, but have it setup to record it tomorrow, hey kevin, will you be doing more ranger based vehicle builds?

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This build is going to consume a large portion of this 2010 season.... There's lots of tech in what we're doing and the fact that we're doing the build in two stages ( first salvage parts, second, high performance, forced induction, brakes, suspension handling, paint body, etc... IE a complete custom truck....) we can cover many bases by doing two versions, but we wanted to focus on the potential of the 4.6 both from a budget and availability perspective,as well as an overall power potential angle.

The thing that got my attention first, was the power out of 281 CU's, followed closely by the aftermarket support, crossover from Mustang vendors, and frankly, the way a 4 cam 4.6 looks under the hood of any vehicle, let alone a ranger... which to me is anything but typical and cliche'...

Thanks for watching! Now that the cat's out of the bag on the air, we can share a little more detail and photos with you guys if you're interested. Thanks for a warm welcome here ( especially to Jim!) and a great forum.

KT.

Casper98

August 2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Saw the Show, All i have to say is AWESOME!!

fomoco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
of course kevin we would like to see pictures of the build

kiragyu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Automatic
im just wondering what kind of horsepower are you guys puttin out with the 4.6 stock? and if i blow my engine (highly unlikely) i am think i will swap it with the 4.6 because i like the idea of people thinkin its not a big v8 lol then smokin them

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I had to laugh a little bit when you guys pulled out the 5/8" thick radiator and said "we're going to save this because we may use it again."

That thing has a hard enough time cooling the 4 banger, let alone a V8. Not razing you guys or nothin, I mean, better safe than sorry.

But you guys did upgrade to a 4 core radiator or something that can keep that beast cool, right?

This season is gonna be awesome! That headlight deal was very helpful too.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i found a new use for my tooth paste, will that work on taillights too, my first gen got some oxidized up ones... awsome show, cant wait for next week!

hmm, i liked that go kart idea with the old motor, that would be fun

Last edited:

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you may be surprised at the radiator solution we came up with, and I'll leave it at that for now. :) The biggest thing we did to create an efficient cooling situation is to set the engine back and have enough room for airflow in front of and around the engine itself.

Once we got to "STAGE II" we'll pull out all the stops and have a super efficient setup that will perform well under "race" conditions, but i must say it's been very fun and very rewarding doing things from a recycling and budget perspective. One of the interesting things we did NOT show, (no time) was how simple and how little time it took to pull the cab. Wwe sped the film up and glossed over it, but between me and Ryan, it took about an hour. Yes, I know... we have a lift and a crane and a whatever... but we have to assume that folks that watch the show would rather see what we do, rather than see us doing it and telling you what we did later.

That's not the kind of show we produce, and we'd rather take a little heat for lifting the cab of a project than stand with our backs to the camera and say "Trust me... this works! " You guys are not bashing on us in any way, but if anybody has criticisms, please please let us know about them! that's how we improve the show, and that's how we know (really) what you guys are thinking. we want to get it right, and we want to hear other ideas and perspectives.

This build has gone very well so far, with few hitches, so we're hoping it resonates with everybody here, personally I love the big power small truck angle.... like I said when we kided this thing off. "Big Power in a Big truck" is big fun! shave a couple thousand pounds off the equation and you're rockin!

Thanks for watching!

KT.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you do a very good show....sometimes just wish it was an hour so you could show a little more detail sometimes.....but, hey thats just me....

Keep up the good work and I will keep watching :icon_thumby:

l8r, John

btw, maybe i should do the first 32V 4X4 Ranger......:D

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Saw the episode. I liked the intro laying down that this is a Ranger, but not:D

This could knock out Copperhead as my favourite Trucks! project.:icon_thumby:

Hey Kevin, how would I go about getting a license plate like the one you cut in the Cherokee episode when you got your engraver attachment for the Torchmate?:icon_twisted:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals