• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It started before new head gaskets!!!

cdapple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the head gaskets on a 91' Ranger 2.9 liter v6. I made sure to mark the distributor so it went back in the same way it came out. After I get it all back together, it wont start. I made sure all pigtails are connected etc. I found that I am getting power to the coil but no spark from it. I replaced the coil and the same outcome. Any ideas? I'd rather not just throw parts at it. ( Ignition control module, etc.)

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I replaced the head gaskets on a 91' Ranger 2.9 liter v6. I made sure to mark the distributor so it went back in the same way it came out. After I get it all back together, it wont start. I made sure all pigtails are connected etc. I found that I am getting power to the coil but no spark from it. I replaced the coil and the same outcome. Any ideas? I'd rather not just throw parts at it. ( Ignition control module, etc.)

check pins in connector to coil and make sure they are all seated properly in connector.

88ranger5speed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would assume the tfi module. Mine did this and i had it tested and it tested good but it was bad after all so be careful there. i had an old distributor laying around and i put the tfi module on it and grounded it to the block, put the coil wire on the cap and a another wire with a spark plug at the end grounded to the body and it should spark if the tfi module is good

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So an no time with the heads off did you rotate the crank to clean off the pistons or clear debris from the cylinders?

The reason I asked is because the TDC mark on the crank pulley, represents TWO Top Dead Centers(TDCs)
#1 Compression stroke TDC
#1 Exhaust stroke TDC

The crank shaft rotates twice for each one turn of the Cam shaft(the distributor drive shaft), as this is a 4-stroke engine

When distributor rotor is point at #1 spark plug wire the crank should be on #1 Compression stroke TDC.

If it is on #1 Exhaust stroke TDC then engine won't start.

If you know the distributor is lined up with TDC but not sure if it is the correct TDC, then you can either set crank at TDC and then pull distributor and rotate rotor 180deg, so it is pointed at #5 or #1 which ever is opposite and then re-install distributor, OR you can change the spark plug wires on the distributor cap, same firing order 1-4-2-5-3-6 but put #1 wire where #5 is now and follow the firing order from there

Chris_1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure the crank position sender is plugged in ? Assuming you have one of course - I haven't played with that year engine. But no cps signal would stop the coil from firing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals