• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

james duff bronco II bumper on a ranger?

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I was wondering the compatibilty of a bronco II rear bumper and a ranger rear bumper. i would like a beefier bumper than stock with a swing away tire carrier. i have seen the prerunner style that replace the tail gate but i like having a tailgate and cap. i found a bumper that i want but it says its for a bronco II. i didnt know if the bumpers on a bronco II will bolt up to a ranger and if so is it limited by years? or does anyone know of a prefab. bumper similar to this one
http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/bumpers_carriers.html

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
im sure you could make it fit, but i doubt it will just bolt right up as is. then again ive never owned a bronco II so im not sure what the mounting holes on the frame rails look like?

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would bet they are same...c mon its a ford..lol who else has a thought???? i think it would bolt up..

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a JD rear bumper on my BII. I'll take some measurements and post up later tonight

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a JD rear bumper on my BII. I'll take some measurements and post up later tonight
That would be awesome. I would like to know how you like the bumper. I saw in the pictures on the website there were some rust stains. I live in the north east and or roads are really heavily salted during the winter.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, the JD bumper mounts to the outside of the framerails with 4 bolts

measuring from the outside of one framerail to the outside of the other, i got about 33.5"

I bought this bumper, used, from another forum member. Not sure how long he had it, but it looks to be at least a few years old. I have not had it very long, maybe 6 months.

powdercoating is an option on the website. i would pay the extra for it, since you live up north.

what i love:
-tire carrier can mount a wheel with 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5
-tire carrier latch is smooth and easy to operate. locks in place easily as well
-hi-lift jack mount is easy to use
-if you angle the top clamp on a 48" hi-lift, the top of the jack is just about level with the roof.

the not so great:
-reverse light tabs are not well placed
-the mounts to the frame look like they could have been made longer. this may have been addressed in later models, or i may be just paranoid. i plan on making some extensions for mine.

random pics (keep in mind i have a 1" body lift)

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info. Tony. Its dark now so ill take a look tomorrow after i get out of work and post a verdict for those who are interested

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I had an 83 F150 and an 84 Bronco and wanted to swap the rear bumpers. Guess what? They didn't fit. I was shocked.

I have a JD front and rear bumper. I like them. They seem fairly well built. Pay for good powdercoating. I had mine powdercoated by the guy that came in second to least expensive (out of four quotes), who normally does production work for local manufacturers and less than two years later I have rust spots at many of the welds and a few other random spots.

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i messured the frame rails today and i got about 33.5" outside to outside. ill load the pics tomorrow i forgot the usb for my phone. the brackets are differant but there are a pair of factor holes predrilled on the frame which looks similar to the ones that Tony Raine shows for the brackets

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
$650 and not even painted or shipped? you could buy an OK welder some metal material and make your own for that much......and then still have enough to take the wife out for a nice seafood dinner

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
$650 and not even painted or shipped? you could buy an OK welder some metal material and make your own for that much......and then still have enough to take the wife out for a nice seafood dinner
Ive priced a few welders and I would like something that i could weld 1/4" its been a while since I priced a welder but i thought the few i found in the 400 range would only weld up to 1/8 or 3/16. I would rather spend the 800 on one that I could dowhat ever want to do in the foreseeable future.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

everything is a compromise. any other pre-fabbed bumper thats actually useful will run around that price or more. while i like to do most work myself, sometimes a pre-fabbed part is the best value when you consider cost and time.

oh yeah, i bought mine used for much less than that :icon_thumby:

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
everything is a compromise. any other pre-fabbed bumper thats actually useful will run around that price or more. while i like to do most work myself, sometimes a pre-fabbed part is the best value when you consider cost and time.

oh yeah, i bought mine used for much less than that :icon_thumby:
yes very true... my problem is why buy it if you could possible build it.. i may break even bought at least i built it...lol but i also live to build and dream stuff up..

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, none of us start out as experts doing everything on our own. for example, right now i am trying to figure out a full-width SAS with mostly stock/junkyard parts and home-fab. same with the v8 swap. throw in design and build of a bumper, i may never get the thing back on the road, haha.

yeah, someday i want to design/build my own bumper. until then, i'll use my second-hand JD. then i'll sell it to someone else thats in my position right now.

hey, at least it isn't some "made in china" crap, right?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
true, good old made in the USA. and i do agree, if you can buy it used for a hefty discount off the brand new price, GO FOR IT, i'd love to have one, LOL.

to make that bumper, i'm sure 1/8" wall tubing and plate would be fine, then take it to a shop and let them weld the the 1/4" (or however thick you wanted) plate to mount it to the frame, i doubt they'd charge too much. plus then you'd have a welder laying around.

and just so you know, i priced a lincoln MIG at lowes a few months back, $635 w/ a helmet, gloves and a roll of wire, it'll do up to 1/2" plate. pick one of those up, save up $100 for metal and you're good to go with a damn fine welder to do more stuff later on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals