• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jump to the side

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
97, 3.0, 4x4, st. cab, short bed. 33x12.50r15, 3.5"bs rims

Im having the odd problem of my rear end jumping to the side when hitting a bump in the middle of a turn. I feels like it wants to spin out but the tires hold it.

It did this with the stock leaf pack and polly bushings, and still with the explorer leaf pack.

I live in the mountains and after 3 years its starting to bug me. Has any one had the same problem and solved it?

thanks...

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
with my tool box removed i occasionally get this....

think it is just a case of the rear end being too light with too stiff of a spring and/or shock....

try throwing a couple bags of sand ( a few concrete block, really any thing for a little weight ) in the rear just to try and see if that helps ya...

l8r, John

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No way to really fix it that I'm aware of. My 97 has done it since day one and I have had several customers complain about it. That's pretty much just the way they are. Mine does it even driving straight if 1 rear tire hits a small bump like a manhole cover or something. Like some others have posted, putting some weight will help but not eliminate it, mine does seem to be better with a heavy steel canopy on it.

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

gcfishguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
They didn't get any better as they got newer either...mine's a 2008 and it does it also. there's an overpass on a lefthand curve on the highway near here and it's downright scary at times....feels like the back end hops over nearly a foot.

I got mine in the spring and it came on snows so i put on the 4 fairly aggressive 235 LTs that I was planning to put on the jeep. Thought maybe it was because of the stiff sidewalls, but looks like they all do it.

Even feels like it's skipping around making the small turn onto the side street I live on..

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Mine used to to it worse back when I had a stiff AAL and crappy shocks. Now I have a replacement leaf pack and some higher quality shocks (Bilsteins) and a heavy tool box on the back and it seems to do it alot less now and if it does it its not so major.

Maybe let some air out of the rear tires and throw two bags of concrete back there and see what that does for yah....

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
With weight in the bed, it goes away compleatly. but I run 33" tires on my 4.10 gears and my 4r44e hates the mountain I live on. so I really cant run it heavy.

I have heard doing a shackle flip makes the rear end more stable, has any one heard this too?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals