• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K&N filter

jdc215

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was wondering if it would hurt the engine in any way to put a K&N can filter on the throttle body as described in the tech library? is it hard on the engine, will it reduce engine life? does it cause the tuning to be less than optimal? are there any side effects what so ever?

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
there was a thread about this dont remember which one, but from the looks of it the K&N air filter is bad. Lets dirt into the engine.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have been running one for around 2 months now I think, and haven't noticed anything. But them agian, that really isn't long anough to do anything.

I honestly don't care what people think they'll do, I'm going to keep using it.
My dad has been running one on his car (Suzuki XL-7) since the first filter change (6 years ago) and nothing bad has happen to this day.

The main reason I got one is becuase I don't have to keep buying filters every 4-5 months.. Yes, I drive in alot of dust), and also becuase if a paper filter gets wet, it's done. A K&N (or any other resuable filter) can get wet, and since it not paper, it is fine once it's dried out.

That my opinion, I know ALOT of other see the otherside of the agruement.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there are no advantages as far as power or economy goes. the only advantage to a K&N filter is its re-usability. if you plan on keeping your truck for a while, or drive in very dusty environments, a K&N will pay for itself over the long run.

lots of naysayers like to argue that a K&N doesnt filter out as fine of particulates as a paper filter, which is true, but nothing that gets by a K&N is large enough to cause any harm to an ICE. probably the biggest "risk" with a K&N is peoples tendency to over-oil them. since you dont have a mass airflow sensor, you wont risk ruining it....but its still possible to gum up your intake with excess oil.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty much going with what Wicked said, I wouldn't even worry about gumming up your intake, oil gets pulled through the PCV and breather tubes anyways.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are no advantages as far as power or economy goes. the only advantage to a K&N filter is its re-usability. if you plan on keeping your truck for a while, or drive in very dusty environments, a K&N will pay for itself over the long run.

lots of naysayers like to argue that a K&N doesnt filter out as fine of particulates as a paper filter, which is true, but nothing that gets by a K&N is large enough to cause any harm to an ICE. probably the biggest "risk" with a K&N is peoples tendency to over-oil them. since you dont have a mass airflow sensor, you wont risk ruining it....but its still possible to gum up your intake with excess oil.
+1

I just run it because it's reusable. Don't over oil it, and you'll be fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals