• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

keys got stolen

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
so I have no keys anymore for my '90 ranger. the dealer cant get me a key by vin, apparently. is there anywhere that I can get my key code? any help would be great

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so I have no keys anymore for my '90 ranger. the dealer cant get me a key by vin, apparently. is there anywhere that I can get my key code? any help would be great
call a locksmith they can make a key. however if keys were stolen i would just have the locksmith re key it or just replace ign lock cyl and door locks whichever is cheaper and just how comfortable you feel extracting ign lock cyl with the rotory pick (drill).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Assuming the doors are unlocked :)
And your lost key worked on door and worked on ignition

You can remove the door lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith he can then cut a key for that cylinder and it should work for the ignition.
You need to remove door panel, remove the bar clipped on to the lock, then in the door jab there is a tab that you pull out, lock then can be pulled out from the outside.

As a heads up, look and feel around the front bumper area and rear, previous owner may have put a "hide-a-key" magnetic box somewhere, I always use them, mine is in the rear wheel well, in a cross brace.
I hate locking my key in the car...............and it is amazing how many times I do it, lol.

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Assuming the doors are unlocked :)
And your lost key worked on door and worked on ignition

You can remove the door lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith he can then cut a key for that cylinder and it should work for the ignition.
You need to remove door panel, remove the bar clipped on to the lock, then in the door jab there is a tab that you pull out, lock then can be pulled out from the outside.

As a heads up, look and feel around the front bumper area and rear, previous owner may have put a "hide-a-key" magnetic box somewhere, I always use them, mine is in the rear wheel well, in a cross brace.
I hate locking my key in the car...............and it is amazing how many times I do it, lol.
being a 90 it might be 2 key system which are 5 cut keys but door key would be a different keyway.. if 8 cut there would only be 6 of the 8 cuts in the door and could be cut by trying different cuts for missing cuts (there are only so many combinations possible) ign lock also does not use all cuts.. almost the same if it has 10 cut key.. don't get me wrong keys can be made in all above instances but might be cheaper and more secure just to re key

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the dealer can only look up keys by vin back to 06, and even when it was new there was no way to look it up by vin. The keys came with a little dog tag that had a key code on in and you were supposed to keep it separate from the vehicle.

A lock smith is the best bet aside from just buying new locks.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As everyone says a locksmith is your best bet. But let me give you a few more options.

Get a key blank for your year. Stick it in the key cylinder wiggle it back and forth, take it out and you will see marks where you need to file down the key to make it work. It's not hard just takes some time.

Make nice with the local tow yard. They have tons of keys from unclaimed car/trucks. See if they will let you barrow the ford can and give it a try. There are only a handful of different keys for each car/truck especially pre 2000's. We used to do this all the time when we would get a car/truck in with no keys.

Bryan

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
^Yeah, that is also a good option^

You can also go to the local wrecker and look around through the 80s/early 90s Fords and pick for keys. Compare teeth as you find them. Once you have 8 different patterns you have a pretty good chance of having at least one that will work.

I usually look for keys that match mine while I am at the yards, and just slip them on my key ring.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
the funny thing is, i have 9 fords with the same keys and none of them are the same cuts, but i found an ignition key taped to the top of the transmission :D now i just need a door key lol

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Damn, tapped on the tranny, probably even the original owner didn«'t remember putting a key there :p

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the funny thing is, i have 9 fords with the same keys and none of them are the same cuts, but i found an ignition key taped to the top of the transmission :D now i just need a door key lol
Go get copies made. Lots of them.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Go get copies made. Lots of them.
i have for copies and the original for all of my cars, i had this ranger for less than an hour to be honest, but i have 5 keys now :)

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I recently found a set of keys, never used, for my old 88 BII along with the little key code tag Adsm08 mentioned. Doesn't do me any good now.

I am always loosing the keys for my BII. 9 of 10 times I find them in the ignition.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
'94
'98
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3 & 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Trying to be a better Christian than non-christians.
1) Replace the door locks only with brand new as the old plastic is gonna' break anyway - do this yourself.
2) Get a locksmith to replace your ignition - different key. I have replaced mine, but if you are asking this question, then I'm assuming that this is beyond your scope.
3) Make a spare door only key for a hideaway magnetic box.
4) You will end up with two separate keys but if you lock the keys inside you can use the hideaway to get immediately in again. If someone every finds your key it will only get them in the door, not start it.

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
1) Replace the door locks only with brand new as the old plastic is gonna' break anyway - do this yourself.
2) Get a locksmith to replace your ignition - different key. I have replaced mine, but if you are asking this question, then I'm assuming that this is beyond your scope.
3) Make a spare door only key for a hideaway magnetic box.
4) You will end up with two separate keys but if you lock the keys inside you can use the hideaway to get immediately in again. If someone every finds your key it will only get them in the door, not start it.
uhh.. ive replaced the ignition in hundreds of vehicles, most of them being this era ford. and this era ford always has two keys..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals