• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

kinda weird

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Well where to start, 89 ranger 2.9 manual 4x4, the starter has been grinding ever since I have bought truck, new starter still same problem, checked ring gear when I fixed slave cylinder it looked fine. Just got truck back from alignment and noticed that it still had some pretty bad steam boat steering, so checked the rag joint, and the baby universal joint tiny play but not enough to cause the problem so time to replace gear box. Well after I finished turning the wheel back and fourth through a whole episode of magnum pi, I decide to crank over a few time with coil disconnected and to my surprise I had no grinding starter noise at all, so the only difference That would be from normal is that the steering linkinage is not connected and there isn't a cap on power steering pump. So I crank it over a few more times just to make sure my noise is gone, and it is so cool. After putting it all back together the noise is back when I first started it it shook the whole engine and didn't want to start finally after trying to limp it to life it fired and ran fine. So I geuss what my question is could the pressure of my power steering pump be making my engine bog down enoungh to make my starter grind? Sounds weird to me but that was the only difference, besides tie rods and drag link, but no way it is them

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, a different starter kinda rules out weak starter...are you sure the power steering stuff if correct, like pulley(s) aligned correctly? If all that is good it shouldn't make your starter drag...or is it really grinding. If it is grinding, then something's not right like a starter spacer missing or one put on there where there shouldn't be one.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Take the belt off and see what happens.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Not sure on pully, will have to check, and taking belt off would tell me right away, there are no shims and shouldn't be any, also was talking to guy at work and I also had coil wire pulled he said that I might have a weak coil, will try both after work and keep ya posted

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Yah, a weak coils will cause all sorts of shenanigans. But usually it is a weak starter robbing juice from the coil. . I'm not the best at internet diagnosis, Try a known good coil. They are easy to swap. :D

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
K tried reliable coil same noise but tried turning over again with coil wire off sounds fine, no noise, so it has something to do with when it starts maybe the starter gear isn't getting out of the way fast enough, any ideas? Does it maybe need to be shimed out?

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to guess that the starter needs a shim.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
K I have never had to shim one always had Ford's do they sell kits or something

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Was talking to my boss and he said maybe the flywheel was put in backwards, is this possible? the guy I bought it from just put all new flywheel, clutch, and slave in.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The flywheel is coned on one side. If he managed to put it in backwards and have it drive he is really special.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
So probably not, also could timing being off make it do that, he said chevys will do that

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I decide to crank over a few time with coil disconnected and to my surprise I had no grinding starter noise at all, so the only difference That would be from normal is that the steering linkinage is not connected and there isn't a cap on power steering pump.
I am confused by the descriptions. You stated here "coil disconnected" and then made conclusion related to steering.

Am I missing something here? "coil" I am thinking ignition coil. Is there some other coil?

If you are referring to ignition coil being connected verses disconnected as making this problem come and go I would be thinking it relates to engine firing or not. In which case I would look to see if timing is radically advanced during starting (either wrong initial timing or advanced messed up) or I would be looking for wires going to the wrong cylinders.

I can't remember what I did, but I messed up something bad 20 or so years ago and had spark occurring at wrong times that made the weirdest bucking when trying to crank it. Either got the distributor radically out or just plug wires all wrong places.

Last edited:

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
In the instructions for bleeding steering box it says to disconnect coil so engine wont fire. I will check plug wire placement and timing to see if they are wrong. It runs fairly decent for a 20year old truck, thanks for all the imput

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Once started

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I understand now. Make sure the plug wires are all going to the right places and right sequence first. Timing may be more tolerant when running than when starting or advance isn't working (like SPOUT connector pulled) and distributer has been rotated to give decent running but is way to far advanced for when starting.

And it may be just that with no ignition load is different and something mechanical ia going on such that when plugs aren't firing you don't get the noise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals