• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf or Coil SAS

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The long debate of leaf vs coil sas has come into my hands now. I have a 87 2WD that im going to be sas'in in about 3 weeks. This truck is mostly a farm truck but is also my dd and some mild off road. I can weld and fabricate so either should be very possible. I am shooting for simple and cheap(not cheap as in garbage but cheap as in im on a budget). Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
leafs will be easiest and simplest, you just need 4 points on the frame to bolt each end of both springs. just depends on how much lift you want. you could probably find some used ones or some at a junkyard for cheap.....new ones are usually expensive. plus with leafs, you wont have to buy/install/fabricate mounts for radius arms or coil mounts.

there are debates about which flexes better and i think it's about the same

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as lift goes Im at 33" tires right now, I want to fit around 36 or 37

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Actually it depends on the axle you get, but more often than not, keeping it coiled is much easier. If you use a radius-armed Ford axle, about the only real fabricating you'll need to do is for a trackbar mount. Leafs have the added implication of getting in the way of your steering too.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Urban myth?? :icon_confused: Sheez, I've only been on this site (among others) pretty constant for some 9 years now :icon_twisted:

Stay away from TTB coils though, far away (there's a reason TTBs don't flex, and it's not because it's TTB).

Look for some 3.5" - 5.5" early Bronco coils. These should give you about 2.5-3" lift above what's stated for the early Bronco app. on your Ranger. You'll need to modify or replace the coil buckets on your frame to fit them correctly.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well im convinced to do coil spring, you think those 5.5" coils will be enough to fit 36's? I do have a 3" body on btw

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Good man. I hate leaves. If I could do it again (well, wouldn't lose a lot of money buying more stuff and further delaying my project), I woulda invested in coil spring parts...

I would say that the 5.5 coils and 3 in bl would be more than enough to clear it...

Of course I'm one of those guys that absolutely hates lift.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
it really depends on what axle you get. If you get an EB axle that comes with wedges and arms then there is really no point in making it leaf sprung. If you get a fullwidth or waggy axle wih spring pads you might as well use the leaf pads.

I have done both swaps, on my own vehicles and others. I think if done RIGHT, both cost about the same and are equally difficult. The coil is much harder to get the steering/trac bar right, but the leafs are more involved with fabrication to get the mounts right.

As for which one is better. I honestly dont think the ford radius arms suspension is any better than a well setup leaf suspension, however coils/coilovers with 4link is much better than both, but MUCH more involved and much more costly.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, ive started adding up cost for the coil over and its well over leafs. As far as axles go are all the d44's drum?

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
it looks like you are wanting to stay in te 33-35" tire range from your picture in your sig, and a little wider than stock. I would find a jeep wagonner and take its front and rear D44' and swap those in. Sell your current axles to rebound the cost.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a couple of weeks ago I found this super nice jeep in this barn. It has coil over springs, road armor bumper with a 9500 winch, abunch of skyjacker stuff. It belongs to a old couple and her husband is out on a business trip. Im not sure what kind of axle is on it but im hoping i can salvage most the stuff off that thing.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
a couple of weeks ago I found this super nice jeep in this barn. It has coil over springs, road armor bumper with a 9500 winch, abunch of skyjacker stuff. It belongs to a old couple and her husband is out on a business trip. Im not sure what kind of axle is on it but im hoping i can salvage most the stuff off that thing.
lolwhat, so the wife is selling the stuff off the husband's jeep? :shok:

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hope not. Its just been sitting there and they were wanting to sell it. But her husband isnt there to give me prices on the parts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals