• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf Spring Hanger ?'s

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm doing the hanger flip to lower my Mazda a bit, have the bracket off on the driver's side, but cannot get the rivets out:icon_confused:

Anybody have any ides how to punch them out??? i could use a torch, but the tank is nearby. Plus there is not much room to hammer them out.

Also when it comes to flip the brackets you swap between each side and then flip them???

Thanx

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been working on the front of my ranger replacing the brackets with drop versions. The easiest way I've found so far is like someone [don't remember who-but thanks] suggested; grind an x into the head of the rivet then use a punch at a side ways angle, hammer the remains of the rivet off. You don't have to worry to much at what angle you hit it, 3 or 4 hits should pop it off. Then smooth the area with the angle grinder and either pry off the bracket or punch the rivets out. Later I use a step drill bit to align the holes for the next biggest bolt. I used 1/2". Use at least grade 5, grade 8 is better.
Richard

michowski

Reaction score
Air chisel will eat those rivets for lunch. When I first changed all my hangars I drilled through them, grinded em all smooth, hammered, ect. I finally realized I had an air chisel and I went from 20 minutes per rivet to about 2 minutes with the air chisel. Just chopped off the end and then used the punch bit on it and pushed it all the way out. Such a simple and easy solution.

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Air chisel will eat those rivets for lunch. When I first changed all my hangars I drilled through them, grinded em all smooth, hammered, ect. I finally realized I had an air chisel and I went from 20 minutes per rivet to about 2 minutes with the air chisel. Just chopped off the end and then used the punch bit on it and pushed it all the way out. Such a simple and easy solution.
I did exactly as you said above with the air chisel trying to punch the rivets out!!!!! They won't move for nothing, I'm going to try again today as I didn't have much time yesterday. I would have suspected them to push right out after they were flush with the frame.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found that some holes didn't line up from the frame to the bracket, creating a lip in between the two pieces making it a LOT harder to force the rivet out. I ended up using a 3 lb hammer and a blunt nose round shank hand chisel. I also had a hard time controlling the air chisel, it was like a suddenly turned on fire hose, all over the place. On the flip side, the air chisel made short work of heavy rust deposits. What ever works best for you is the 'correct' way. Depending on how rusty the bolts are, you should take off the bed. 1/2 hr makes a whole lot of time saving and easier on the ears [less cursing] down the road.
Good luck,
Richard

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up getting them out by heating around the hole and using the air chisel. I ended up putting it back for now, too hot in the garage and will tackle this later in the year. Also will remove the bed and even the tank as you suggested as it's next to impossible to do with it on.

Thanx for the help!!!

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Start oiling those bed bolts now, you'll be glad. In fact ,oil every bolt your going to touch, ever.
Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals