• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf Spring Question

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm building the ranger I have for in the woods on our property where i live. I have a sawmill and we are working up to a stone cutting setup. I need this truck to haul more than just 1/2-3/4 ton. Is there any vehicles out there that have springs that will fit my ranger but haul a few ton (2-3 preferably) also is there anything else when trying to haul loads like this that I should replace/reinforce before hand so that I don't have to repair in the longrun?

Sorry i'm not very mechanically incline when it comes to explaining what I see in my head :icon_twisted:

Ranger in a '93 4x4 7ft bed 4.0

Edit:I'm needing to build this also to haul loads of stone and possibly for pulling logs to the mill out of our woods here.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

If you're a good enough mechanic, yes, you could technically put 1 ton springs on your truck. What you fail to realize is that the frame is not designed to take those kind of loads.

Save yourself the hassle and just buy yourself a fullsize.

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

If you're a good enough mechanic, yes, you could technically put 1 ton springs on your truck. What you fail to realize is that the frame is not designed to take those kind of loads.

Save yourself the hassle and just buy yourself a fullsize.
This is why I asked here first, and Money is an issue atm for me to buy another vehicle. No worries i'm in no hurry can wait til next year or so was just curious.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Ebay an old F350 diesel 4X4.... You can get them around 5K if you shop wisely

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ebay an old F350 diesel 4X4.... You can get them around 5K if you shop wisely
Yea that's way out of my price range lol im 28 4 kids and in process of building my house. this is my night time project I may just have a friend of mine get the specs of the frame and build me a better heavy duty tubed frame instead. He has made many in the past and if I supply the tubing it shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks and a couple cases of beer haha.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One other thing to consider is the ratings of the axles and bearings. Might be better to just get an old F-250 rear frame and bed and make a trailer.
Dave

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Even picking up an old F-150 with the 300-6 would be better than trying to use the Ranger like a 1-ton dump. If you look long enough you can usually find one in need of a bit of work for a few hundred. If you just need to use it around the property you don't even need to worry if the windshield is cracked or whatnot.

I upgraded the brakes and leafs in my Ranger. I ran stainless brake line, DOT-4 fluid, threw a l/s 8.8 under the rear and built a custom spring pack using Explorer leafs. At the time I used the truck like a 3/4 ton on an increasingly regular basis. It was hard on the truck to do that and the bed often proved too small for my needs. When I had to get creative piling in the tools and materials for a job, I knew I had waited far too long to get a bigger truck. I looked around and found a '95 F-150 4x4 with the 300 straight six that was about perfect for my needs. I had also found a diesel F-250 extended cab with an 8' bed and 4x4 at the same time but it would have been really stretching my budget to get so I stuck with the F-150. It needed a bit of work, but it was relatively cheap. I've had it 4 years this past February. I upgraded the suspension front and rear to heavy 3/4 ton suspension along with some other upgrades. I have had close to 3 ton on it, but I didn't like how the front end floated along even with the upgraded suspension.

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Even picking up an old F-150 with the 300-6 would be better than trying to use the Ranger like a 1-ton dump. If you look long enough you can usually find one in need of a bit of work for a few hundred. If you just need to use it around the property you don't even need to worry if the windshield is cracked or whatnot.

I upgraded the brakes and leafs in my Ranger. I ran stainless brake line, DOT-4 fluid, threw a l/s 8.8 under the rear and built a custom spring pack using Explorer leafs. At the time I used the truck like a 3/4 ton on an increasingly regular basis. It was hard on the truck to do that and the bed often proved too small for my needs. When I had to get creative piling in the tools and materials for a job, I knew I had waited far too long to get a bigger truck. I looked around and found a '95 F-150 4x4 with the 300 straight six that was about perfect for my needs. I had also found a diesel F-250 extended cab with an 8' bed and 4x4 at the same time but it would have been really stretching my budget to get so I stuck with the F-150. It needed a bit of work, but it was relatively cheap. I've had it 4 years this past February. I upgraded the suspension front and rear to heavy 3/4 ton suspension along with some other upgrades. I have had close to 3 ton on it, but I didn't like how the front end floated along even with the upgraded suspension.
Yea I understand that and those are good points. My main reason for askin about this particular vehicle is because of it's size. The areas I will need to get to are on real tight corners and trails in the woods on property that i cannot clear the trees from. If I could then i'd have bought a full size all together. But, as it is on writing we cannot touch the trees until we pay off the property. Thing is I know ppl that have a junk yard at my every call and 2 brothers that are very awesome welders and fabricators. I just need to kinda touch base here from time to time and get the ideas straight before i even think to spit it at them lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I understand that size can be a problem at times, but it cuts both ways. Even building a custom frame for the Ranger and putting heavy duty suspension on it, you still have the problem of stopping. I have had just over a ton in the bed of my Ranger before. I wasn't going far with it, but it was NOT good. Stopping distance, even with my brakes upgraded, was ridiculously long. My F-150 with 2 tons on it stops in less distance. And steering was sketchy, the front end just kind of floated out there.

So you'd need to upgrade the suspension to something out of a full size, and use axles out of a full size to get bigger brakes than are available on an RBV AND build a custom frame.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Along with the points the other members have made you then come down to the other weak points... Transmission and clutch. The M5od isn't really a brute force work horse and you will need a serious clutch like a LUK and still you will probably burn out a couple a year.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

I understand that size can be a problem at times, but it cuts both ways. Even building a custom frame for the Ranger and putting heavy duty suspension on it, you still have the problem of stopping. I have had just over a ton in the bed of my Ranger before. I wasn't going far with it, but it was NOT good. Stopping distance, even with my brakes upgraded, was ridiculously long. My F-150 with 2 tons on it stops in less distance. And steering was sketchy, the front end just kind of floated out there.

So you'd need to upgrade the suspension to something out of a full size, and use axles out of a full size to get bigger brakes than are available on an RBV AND build a custom frame.

this is sound advice for the most part. but my experience differs greatly.

Yea I understand that and those are good points. My main reason for askin about this particular vehicle is because of it's size. The areas I will need to get to are on real tight corners and trails in the woods on property that i cannot clear the trees from. If I could then i'd have bought a full size all together. But, as it is on writing we cannot touch the trees until we pay off the property. Thing is I know ppl that have a junk yard at my every call and 2 brothers that are very awesome welders and fabricators. I just need to kinda touch base here from time to time and get the ideas straight before i even think to spit it at them lol.

the smaller size was also my main motivation for some of the things i did.

plainly- if your frame is not rotted i would not think twice about beefing the rear springs with some 2wd 150 leafs in the intermediate pack.. i assume your truck is a manual trans.??

i ran an 8-9 pack configuration for many years which carried 2000 pounds plus regularly....many times constantly ....for weeks on end....detroit to cinci daily at hi way speeds that were not necessarily what was posted..

the springs at that point were basically a b2 and hd ranger/exploprer. this combined with e series 250 front coils rode pretty well with normal loads.

the cost of that is killing front hubs/rotor assembly from brake heat as the heat generated from that and 35 in tires was overwhelming. simple upgrade to front d44 ttb knuckles eliminates that....but people will always throw cash at you to buy them when you do that. at least where i lived they did.

even a 31 spline 8.8 wont take the abuse i incurred so a 150 would be a joke if thought of as an upgrade as they are easier to overload.

the 150 brakes are way better on a ranger but actually did not stop the 150 any faster all things being equal in my experience.. that is my ranger with 7 square of shingles verse a 150 with 7 square of shingles. both rigs were a bit ovlerloaded imo even though they had beefed springs but they did pretty good all around.. but the ranger could stop just a bit better with similar loads with just explorer d35 and explorer 8.8 brakes.. with d44 fronts the ranger was much better

if your frame is rotted that is a different story.

imagine this with two 40 footers on the bottoms and two more 32's with a 16x28 pic all the jacks/compressor/tools and ten 65 foot rolls of grace ice and water running 80 mph for 8 hours a day.....

if i had to do it over since i upgraded the 2.9 in 1995... with what i know now, i would have not run the cobra spec 302...i would have run the diesel with turbo and full trussed full-float 5x 5.5 axle out back with ttb d44 from day one.. no worries at all on the frame.

but a fullsize truck is preferable for most work. i had a setup where the small truck was ideal and wrung that fawker out and still am twisting it to its limits.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Along with the points the other members have made you then come down to the other weak points... Transmission and clutch. The M5od isn't really a brute force work horse and you will need a serious clutch like a LUK and still you will probably burn out a couple a year.
always the bottom line with this chassis.

even with built fullsize transmissions i regularly replaced them....rear ends were a constant problem but like i said a 150 would still have the same rear issues. but at the front axle...the 150 bearing spacing and brakes are a big improvement on a d35 though.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sound advise on the F150 with a 300 straight 6 cyl. Mine is a 1990 that has factory overload springs. She hauls whatever, whenever. She has been relegated to the woods since she had an accident a few yrs ago bending the front frame, but I wouldn't trade her for anything. I bought her 10 yrs ago for $3,000 and she only had 42,000 miles on her. They are out there so go get em'.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals