• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lift opinions

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i recently just bought an 89 2.9 5 speed ex cab 4wd ranger. I have been reading up on them for the past few months. I had an 98 a few years back with a torsion bars cranked rear shackles and 33's.

my question is should I go 4inch rough country lift and 33's? Or body lift plus the 2 inch rancho leveling kit with shackles? I heard the bad about the rough country tearing beams and rough rides. I dont mind If i have to trim or not just dont want to be left with no fenders.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
its up to you. anything will break if you beat on it hard enough.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
id really suggest going with sturdier stuff like duff or sj, if you're not after flex and improved ride the body lift and leveling kit might do it for you. maybe you could piece one together with used parts too

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the coils are stiff as s....
and the drop plate will cause issues IF you do a d35 swap and get softer coils....

i've had a 4" RC lift kit on my b2 for several years and i've broke nothing from it. sure its not the best, but its a good kit for the money.

they are talking about redoing the coils to a more stock-ish ppi instead of those crazy stiff ones...

and they have the BEST customer service you'll find in my prior dealings.

and you won't get any flex out of it; from the coils and the fact it has radius arms drop brackets.

Last edited:

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. Im leaning towards body lift and maybe the skyjacker leveling kit. I have a 98 blazer with a 2inch body lift and 31's But the wife needs something to drive up here in the snow. We just moved to the U.P. I picked up the ranger for 550 bucks needs a fuel pump and a little bit of loving. But the rust isnt too bad.

Now I have heard people running the RC 4 inch lift and using 6 inch coils. How is that and would I need extended radius arms? Ive read some on modifying the factory ones. I have a welder and everything. The truck is going to be my DD. I plan to wheel it every now and again and once the 28 goes swap in a 35 with an 8.8 explorer rear end.

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input. Im leaning towards body lift and maybe the skyjacker leveling kit. I have a 98 blazer with a 2inch body lift and 31's But the wife needs something to drive up here in the snow. We just moved to the U.P. I picked up the ranger for 550 bucks needs a fuel pump and a little bit of loving. But the rust isnt too bad.

Now I have heard people running the RC 4 inch lift and using 6 inch coils. How is that and would I need extended radius arms? Ive read some on modifying the factory ones. I have a welder and everything. The truck is going to be my DD. I plan to wheel it every now and again and once the 28 goes swap in a 35 with an 8.8 explorer rear end.
Some ppl run the SKYJACKER 6" coils with 4" drop brackets, and this works great on extended cabs and or the 4.0L (this works cuz of the extra weight); this also works great of you have a heavy nose with a winch/bumper combo. You will not need extended radius arms to run the 6" coils. Using another brand of 6" coils doesn't work so well because they are much stiffer than Skyjacker's coils. :icon_thumby:

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well thanks for all the help guys. I actually am going to look at a used class 2 skyjacker 6 inch lift I found on craigslist. Im really excited might be a while before it gets put on since I have yet to even drive to Wisconsin to pick up the truck yet. But I will keep make a build thread.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
if the sj kit doesnt work out for you when i finally get everything together and lift mine more (hopefully a week or 2) i have a pair of sj leveling coils with your name one 'em :icon_thumby:

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man. Yeah i found it on craiglist for 275 bucks. Sounds like the guy know what he is talking about he is SAS on 35's so he doesnt need the lift anymore. So in the past two days I bought my truck and hopefully a 6 inch lift. But the lift will have to wait till I take care of some of the rust issues and drive it for a while. But for being a truck from the north its not that bad especially for the price I paid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals