• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lil' Blue Dakota

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So my dad has a 1985 dodge w350. we agreed that if i find him a big block i get to put the 360 in my little dodge dakota, well, i found one, a 1970 chrysler 413. im doing some researching and from what i found online, the first generation dakotas only had one 5 speed transmission, and they used it with all of their motors up to the 5.2 (i think only to the 5.2 because the 360 wasnt an option in a regular production dakota outside of an r/t) i have a 2.5L 5 speed and i know now a 5.2L will bolt up, and im assuming that a 5.9L will being that theyre the same block... just looking for some further advice/knowledge from someone who has more engine swap experience than myself. it isnt going to be a crazy power build so i dont think ill need to beef anything up in the trans. just a once in a while driver with some more pep than the 2.5. Thanks in advance!

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It might bolt up, but will it stand up to it? Putting a 360 V-8 in front of that tranny may not be such a good idea...that's a big difference. If it does bolt up it probably won't last long.

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, well, i cant find online any other differences between the two, do you know what the differences internally would be? im fairly sure now that this is the tranny they came with as a 4x2 5 speed... what might they have done differently in general?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Match the tranny to the engine, according to how the factory did it...what tranny is behind the 360 now? I'd use that or the equivalent modern tranny to put in your dakota, 'course I'm an old fart who like to work on tractors. Point is...trannies are engineered/built for certain engine sizes. Check the dakota forums/chrysler forums to find out what is rated for that 360...us Ford folks are just guessing at anything Chrysler.

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
unfortunately the 727 torqueflite is staying in the dodge that is getting the 413... ill do some looking to see what i need to do here. Thanks alot man, i appreciate the help.

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id like to add that the 360 going in is a post emissions 170hp motor, im thinking that if the ax15 (which i think is the tranny i have) will hold up to 170 hp for at least a little while i can look at finding both a set of pre emissions 340 heads and a beefier trans... i went on a few chrysler sites and people are looking at doing a ax15 swap into a cherokee with the 5.9 magnum which is the later version with a little more pep, say that it will hold up do just regular daily driving and some light pedal stomping... i figure that if itll handle a magnum 360 "lightly stomped" it should handle my old school(ish) 360... any other input on this topic? either way ill have a 360 sitting on a stand and im wondering if its going to be worth my time to find a new bell housing and flywheel if its going to disintegrate upon startup... Thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals