• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Limited Slip Info Help! 8.8 and D35

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I just purchased a trac lok carrier from ECGS that has the new M-4700-C limited slip rebuild kit in it. It is the L/S for the new Mustangs 8.8 and people say they are stronger than the stock Limited slip plates and springs... This is for my Explorer 8.8 31 spline.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips as far as keeping this thing from slipping as much as possible.. Like say running no friction modifier. Will this keep the L/S from slipping so much or will it just burn stuff up?

Has anybody tried this kit yet?

I also ordered a used rear Jeep D35 carrier that had 3.55 gears (it should mount my 4.88 fine becasue the carrier split was 3.54 and higher) and that has L/S in it. I want to put this in my D35 TTB to have 4 wheel limited slip... I think im guna rebuild the L/S plates in this too, does anybody have tricks as far as keeping this L/S from slippling?

IF i run no friction modifier will this help keep them from slipping? Will it wear out prematurly?

Tips and tricks would be awesome guys. This is the first time im going to be diggin into these Diffs so any advice is appreciated!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you can supposedly overstuff the limited slip for a more "locked" feeling.. I think it's in the tech library? If not search the site, it's on here somewhere I've read it before

personally, I'd just order Aussie lockers and use the open carriers. The best "locked" feeling is truly locked!!!

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
you can supposedly overstuff the limited slip for a more "locked" feeling.. I think it's in the tech library? If not search the site, it's on here somewhere I've read it before

personally, I'd just order Aussie lockers and use the open carriers. The best "locked" feeling is truly locked!!!
I dont have the cash for lockers and an auto locker is unpredictable.

By the time im done with auto lockers it will be close to $1000, selectable lockers closer to $2000+

Im guna have $500 max in rebuilt limited slips....

Its either full selectable or nothing for me!

Its not a crawler and a good L/S front and rear with my 33's should be all I need...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
mine's a mall crawler first and foremost (DD)... I have Aussie's front and rear. For the lockers, I have $120 in the rear (used, search around) and $260 in the front (new).

Unpredictable? idk, I know what my trucks gonna do.... You get used to it, at least I did.
I'll see if I can find that link on overstuffing the LSD when I'm not at work..

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man!

Im guna be driving this truck fast and don't want the added strain of the locker... unless you have the supper 8.8 kit I don't see the truck landing well with a lockers....

This think will be in 2 wheel until I get stuck or hit the snow...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed, auto lockers can be very unpredictable when tires leave the earth and come back again (they're already unpredictable enough if you just let off the gas and coast for a bit and then step on it again, especially during a very slight curve).

Is that mustang L/S for a 31-spline Cobra axle? Any other Mustang is 28 spline if I'm not mistaken.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is that mustang L/S for a 31-spline Cobra axle? Any other Mustang is 28 spline if I'm not mistaken.
You aren't.

V6 got a 7.5

V8 got an 8.8

and the Cobras and some of the hipos like the Roush cars got the 31-spline.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont add the friction modifier you will get chatter and burn the clutches up. I cant remember how I arranged the clutches but here is a good video for setting up your clutches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsLDg3C6Hc

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Actually, All V6 Mustangs up to 2010 had the 7.5". 1986-2004 V8 Mustangs came factory equipped with the 8.8" and 28 spline axles, except for 2003-2004 SVT Cobras which were 31 spline. All 2005 and newer V8 Mustangs and the 11-13 V6s came with 31 spline axles.

I assume the LSD your referring to is the carbon disk traction-lok that came in the 03-04 Terminator Cobras. There is also a Torsen T2 that came in the FR500S that has a higher bias ratio of 4:1 as opposed to the normal T2 offered with 2:1. Just another few options to ponder...

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The Torsen functions as an open differential when the amount traction or torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque or differentiation causes the gears in the differential to bind together. The amount of torque that is applied to the wheel with traction is determined by the torque bias ratio. One thing to keep in mind is if one wheel loses traction completely, such as lifting a tire off the ground, torque bias is useless as it cannot supply torque to the other wheel. Zero traction x 4 = zero.

Last edited:

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yes the M-4700-C is the cobra 31 spine limited slip carbon disk setup from Ford racing... I hope this is the best option because it has already been ordered... it says its stronger than the stock M-4700-B.

I don't think you can add shims to the M-4700-C model...

So I need the friction modifier I guess huh.... I was hoping I could skip that and add traction by minimizing the slip...

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Let us know how it works...I was thinking about getting the carbon disk traction-lok for my adrenalin when I have the diff out for the 4.10 regear. Seems to be more appropriate for a hardtop only daily driver while still gaining performance over the standard traction-lok.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
So the limited slip D35 jeep carrier fit well in the D35 TTB (need the one that can accept 4.88). You just need a washer to take up some space between the spider gear and c clip because the c clip in the D35 rear is no longer there and the D35 TTB has a thinner c clip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals