• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long trip troubles

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My truck is a Mazda B3000 4x4 5 speed and after long trips i run into a chugging, hesitation, and exhaust backfire problem. It started happening on my way home from college and as soon as i got to the same city everytime my check engine light would come on and go off continously the rest of the trip. Then after a few more trips it has started hesitating, chugging and will backfire when im around 2,000 - 2,500 RPM's. I cant seem to make anything of it. it now happens when im on my way back to college and on today's trip home it started at 100 miles alot sooner then before. so what do you guys think might be the problem codes are P0121, P0122, and P0172 all stored codes because the light goes out. Thanks for any suggestions.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
What? So did you actually scan for OBD2 codes or not? Go to Autozone for a free scan...

It could seriously be anything wrong, from a head gasket to even bad gas or filter.

HOWEVER...my first guess would be the harmonic balancer (aka engine crank dampener). With the engine running, open the hood, and look down at the crank pulley. Is it even slightly wobbly? If so, that is your problem and is definitely RPM related. There is a rubber piece that dries/wears out over time, and with 60* or 90* blocks, vibration issues will arise big time.

Good luck, and get back with us.

Pete

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i took a snap on scanner to it to retrive those codes. and 121 and 122 are both tps codes and 172 is about o2 sensor being lean. but the thing is it only does this on long trips over 100 miles. I also notice that the farther i drive the speedo gets off more and more like lets say to go 70 my speedo says 67 near the end of the trip my speedo will say 60 and im still going 70 according to my GPS. the same thing with RPM 70 at the begining of the trip is around 2,500 and at the end of my trip 70 will be close to 3,000. and i will check my harmonic balancer when i do my oil and fuel filter change tomorrow.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can't comment on the accuracy of your GPS. Could the variance in speed and rpm possibly be a slipping clutch that progessively gets worse the longer you drive due to heat build up? Checked your gas mileage lately? I can't see how a TPS and lean burn code would be related to the speedo/tach problem. You might try testing the TPS.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Regarding the P172 - Lean Mixture, I suggest cleaning the MAF sensor that is connected to your air intake by the filter. These get dirty as well, and can accumulate a film, which prevents accurate readings to your computer. Take it out, clean very well with carb cleaner, and reinstall. The other 2 things I suggest is to throw in a couple Fuel System cleaners into your fuel tank. This will clean out your fuel lines & fuel injectors a little bit. If your system is "Lean," then your engine has too much air and not enough fuel. There may be a small vacuum leak by your upper intake manifold gasket or another PCV hose (or similar). Try these. Without being there, it's sometimes hard to exactly pinpoint a cause.

Speedometer - This is unrelated to everything you mentioned. Your GPS could be taking a slightly longer route, or you may have larger tires thank stock. Your speedo drive gear was not changed, rear axle gear ratio, and many people ugrade to even slightly taller tires. If your driving distance or speed is 3 miles off, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's comparing a preset electronic (perhaps even theoretical) reading to what you are actually drive. What size are your tires?

P121 & P122 - TPS Input Problems rarely go out. Obviously an electrical problem, try unbolting the TPS sensor on the throttle body, clean, and reinstall it very securely. Make sure it is tight, but not cranked on. Check the wires, and make sure they have solid connections and no water/moisture. Follow the wires back and make sure they are not touching anything, getting burned, or grounding out somewhere. The Power Control Module is definitely a last resort. If you could not find a problem with the wiring, I would buy and test the TPS sensor with a new one. (You could actually return it (undamaged) if you insist.)

The bad voltage readings in the TPS coupled with the lean fuel codes would definitely make a shitty ride.

Good luck, and get back to us!

Pete

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok last trip still had the same problems tested tps and it is good and changed fuel filter and ran some cleaners. now that im back at school i just tore apart the MAF sensor and its quite dirty going to clean it up and see if that helps out at all.

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Any chance you forgot about the plugs? My Miata used to do that and over time it got progressively worse. One of the plugs was shorting to the block once it got hot.

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok when you clean the maf please oh please dont use carb cleaner. they make a special maf cleaner i would suggest that

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
im already ahead of you i bought the MAF cleaner lol and no i didnt check the plugs i just changed them about a month ago and it was having this problem then too.

RadRanger09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!! i changed the plugs, wires, oil, fuel filter, added fuel cleaners, and still have the problem. i have a feeling that it has to do with the computer since it is ONLY when we go on long trips. please tell me you have figured it out!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals