• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking into Chipping my 3.0 ECM and have questions.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Let me start with I have never done this or even seen it done so please treat me like I know nothing on this subject because I only have a basic understanding on this. ( truck specs <--- over there and in my signature below )

We all know with proper maintenance the 3.0L can be a very reliable motor that leaves you wanting more so now that I am about done with all of the replacement parts to get it back 100% minus A/C I am now looking for easy bolt on performance. I will not be, at this time, doing a rebuild into a Romulan motor like @ericbphoto is currently building for his rig (https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/3-0-wont-be-slow.186203/ ) but still want to get some performance out of it. This leads to intake manifolds and computer chips. From hours of reading with out new heads my 94 stock block has limited options so I'm considering sourcing a chip for the ECM and need more information before pulling the trigger on it. I do not need to pass emissions but it all must be there due to local, state and federal laws so if this buggers my emissions output it wont cause an issue for me. Luckily I don't live in California.

My starting questions are:

1. What does the chip actually change? I'm not looking for numbers just what parameters are changed. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what the chip does to the base settings.

2. With a chip is there other parts that need to be changed or is this just a simple plug and play style upgrade?

3. What can go wrong when doing the chip replacement other than frying the chips and other things in the ECM from static? I build PC's so I am aware of the need for a grounding strap on when physically touching circuit boards. Example: can it fry other sensors ect. if I goof up somehow?

OBD 1 ECM installed so a programmer is not an option for me.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Recalibrating an ECM can change a bunch of different things. From a performance standpoint, the things changed most often are ignition timing and fueling. In Fords and vehicles where the ECM also controls the transmission, you can also tweak auto trans shifting a little.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is quite a difference between a "chip" and a "tuner/programmer".

Tuners change all sorts of engine parameters and can be a massive benefit or flat out mandatory on a performance built engine. On a stock engine however they do alot less but not to say they do nothing. You can still fiddle with shift points, timing advance curves, etc to edge out a little more MPG or a few HP.

A chip on the other hand is a generic term for several things and they are a crapshoot. Some are literally just a big scam. You get a box with a blinking light and a switch that connects to nothing and does nothing. One company did some research on one of the chips on the market and found that the circuit board inside was designed to look sophisticated but it was actually a part out of an old cd player.

Others do worse than nothing, they wire into to the MAF sensor circuit and "trick" the ECM into thinking more air is flowing that there really is so the computer adds more fuel. Adding more fuel without more air just makes the engine run too rich. No power increase, you just waste fuel.

There are other types of chips that work more like tuner without the ability to program. They are just preset and get wired in. Even those I'm personally leary of because without doing any other modifications to the engine, its hard to gain anything. Especially on an old obd1 system that doesn't have the sophistication to adjust as many parameters anyway.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
There is quite a difference between a "chip" and a "tuner/programmer".

Tuners change all sorts of engine parameters and can be a massive benefit or flat out mandatory on a performance built engine. On a stock engine however they do alot less but not to say they do nothing. You can still fiddle with shift points, timing advance curves, etc to edge out a little more MPG or a few HP.

A chip on the other hand is a generic term for several things and they are a crapshoot. Some are literally just a big scam. You get a box with a blinking light and a switch that connects to nothing and does nothing. One company did some research on one of the chips on the market and found that the circuit board inside was designed to look sophisticated but it was actually a part out of an old cd player.

Others do worse than nothing, they wire into to the MAF sensor circuit and "trick" the ECM into thinking more air is flowing that there really is so the computer adds more fuel. Adding more fuel without more air just makes the engine run too rich. No power increase, you just waste fuel.

There are other types of chips that work more like tuner without the ability to program. They are just preset and get wired in. Even those I'm personally leary of because without doing any other modifications to the engine, its hard to gain anything. Especially on an old obd1 system that doesn't have the sophistication to adjust as many parameters anyway.
Tricking MAF sensor circuits can work; if you get larger injectors and also get a larger MAF from a 4.0 or a 5.0, you will get more air and more fuel. Pretty simple. Always better to tune the vehicle but simple stuff like that works as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals