• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Losing water in my '90 Ranger

rsrob5617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been driving my ranger around for a couple hundred miles now after I bought it about a month ago. I do check my fluids regularly and have noticed I've been using about a gallon of water every 100 miles. I looked my engine over and eventually found that my heater bypass hose was cracked at one end and then replaced it. A day or so later I noticed it still needed water even after refilling it and bleeding the air out, and now I see moister buildup in the oil, but not so much as to explain where all the water is going. I see no dripping and no smoke out the exhaust. Earlier today I tried to do a compression test to see if the head or gasket is leaking or busted, but I'm not sure if I did it right. I removed all my spark plugs and connected the gauge to cylinder 6 and got around 50 psi then 5 and got 40 psi and 4 had 55 psi.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You have to wire the throttle open to get a good reading. What did the plugs look like? Does the engine skip?

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
couple of things you can try. 1 fill the rad to the top, run and top off again and wwhile running look into the rad to see if there are any bubbles coming out. If there are bad head/head gasket. 2. as noted above the throttle has to be kept open to get air into the cyl to do a comp check, look for all to be withing 15% I think it is of each other. Do one dry then do a wet, squirt a table spoonful of engine oil into the cyl and redo the comp check. will indicate valves or rings. 3. LOOK real close at the water jacket connections to the block. I was using water could not figure out where. Thought I had bad head gasket but could not verify as the leak started to be out side of firing chamber. Redid head gaskets, still had leak! Turns out to be where the water pump manifold bolted to the block. A gasket had deteriorated and let go with a seep than a leak. Never enough to see on ground initially just some streaks on the block where it blew back.

This on 94 4.0, what engine you dealing with?

As ron d below this post indicates I also at one time had a rad leak at the tanks! They leaked and the flow never really showed. Yes a pressure test is good.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, what engine is this?

Engine won't run at 50psi compression so it wasn't a good test.
Throttle being close wouldn't account for that low a reading.
Expected compression on engines that run regular gas is 160psi, 150-170 range, higher means carbon build up, lower means ring wear.
Under 110psi is where ignition of air and gas becomes iffy.

Yes, all spark plugs removed, throttle open, good battery, cold engine is fine, in fact better if you think there is a leak, cold metal contracts so any leak would be "larger" when cold.

I would rent a rad pressure tester, pump it up to 20psi and listen for the leak.

I had a 4.0l with a cracked overflow hose, where it ran across the top of the rad, coolant evaporated as it leaked and only when overflow was active so when coolant and rad were hot, also sucked air back into the rad when cooling, real PITA to find that issue.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, if your engine runs I would say you did the compression test wrong. 90 PSI is the minimum it needs just to run and it won't run well or go uphill at that point.

I am in agreement with the other so far. Pressure test the cooling system and the cap. A bad cap can allow coolant loss at a rate about what you describe, and show no visible point of loss.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
All good info above. But the main thing is what's your engine and is it the original .

-gil-

rsrob5617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about the absence, really busy this week. I pulled apart the engine down to the intake manifold to find the gasket had busted. I replaced it with a fel-pro gasket kit and also found my heater core has had a leak. And as for the compression test, I found the gauge was faulty. But thank all of y'all for all the help and suggestions

rsrob5617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The engine I have is the OEM Ford 2.9 v6

rsrob5617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, if your engine runs I would say you did the compression test wrong. 90 PSI is the minimum it needs just to run and it won't run well or go uphill at that point.

I am in agreement with the other so far. Pressure test the cooling system and the cap. A bad cap can allow coolant loss at a rate about what you describe, and show no visible point of loss.
I have noticed that on the highway, it is a bit of a challenge to hold 75, but I haven't driven it yet after reassembling it, I should find out today or tomorrow to see if I got my power back

rsrob5617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've fixed the coolant and oil issue and ran into another. Either my timing is way off and/or a cylinder isn't getting power. I've driven around about 2 1/2 miles and have to rev up a lot to get it to move with my 5 speed manual.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would first check the sparking timing.
Good info here on the Ford TFI system:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

To set Base spark timing you will need a timing light hooked up to #1 wire
Clean off degree plate near main pulley and make sure TDC line on pulley is clean enough to see
To set base timing at 10deg BTDC you need to prevent the computer from running the timing.
So you disconnect the SPOUT(spark out) control, there is a simple connector to do this
Picture of SPOUT connector below

You pull out the insert and that disconnects the computer control.
Loosen distributor bolt just enough to move it.
Start engine
Set timing at 10deg Before TDC(BTDC), some say 12 deg BTDC is better, up to you.

Tighten distributor
Reconnect SPOUT

If there is no improvement I would test all 6 cyl compression numbers, those first numbers were way off for a running engine, even a badly running engine.

Another test you can do is to get a socket wrench for the main pulley(crankshaft).
Remove distributor cap.
Move main pulley with wrench one way then the other, just a little, 1/8th turn, distributor rotor should move with that movement, if movement is delayed then timing chain tensioner is not working, so there is slack in the chain, this will cause loss of power.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals