• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lower Intake

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just got a 98 Ranger to add to my collection. It has a 3.0L Ext cab 4x4. 140K miles

The motor ran, Just skipped horriably and wouldn't stay running unless you kept your foot on the pedal. I'm thinkin its in the heads. So I'm pullin them off and puttin a used lower mileage set on to see if this clears up the problem. Also hopin it didn't drop a valve on top of the piston. Won't know till the heads are off.

Now to my question, how the hell do you get that lower intake off? I feel like a retard for asking. I unbolted the 4 torx head bolts and cant get that joker off. I tapped on it with a brass hammer and pryed on it some but still wont come. Please help before I get frustrated and get the torches out. :shok:

Macneilrider87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
You said you took off four torx bolts there should be 8, 4 on each side if I remember correctly. You may have missed them if the intake is very dirty which it probably is. If the engine doesn't stay running, have you thought about cleaning both the MAF sensor and the Idle air control valve? If you haven't already started tearing everything apart maybe do a compression test, because if the cylinders have good compression it would be a waste to rip everything apart.

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
did a comp test #2 and #3 failed.

Yeah there's a bunch of dirt on it. let me go see if i can find 4 more bolts.

Macneilrider87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get the intake off now? Bummer on the low compression. I finished my truck about a month ago. Had low compression on cylinder 6 because of a burnt valve.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals