• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

m-90

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
im thinking about putting a m-90 supercharger on my 94. ive been going back and forth on this for a while and im not sure what all is involved with the installation internally. ive done some research and i know that i will have to have the adapter from morana, but i was wondering what else will have to be done to my motor? im not looking for all out super speed or anything, just somethimg more enjoyable to drive and faster than a golf cart. any information would be helpful, also suggestions on performance mods if anyone has any other ideas

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may want to be careful buying an adapter from Morana. The only person that I've seen buy his M112 adapter had tons of issues. The supercharger wouldn't even bolt to the adapter, and when he got it close enough, the pulley on the supercharger didn't line up with the serpentine belt on the engine. He ended up returning it and having someone else make an adapter that actually works. His setupthat worked is now for sale here: http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/f405/fs-m112-supercharger-manifold-more-279568.html

I haven't seen anyone try Morana's M90 adapter, so it may work just fine. But the experience with the larger M112 didn't seem well thought out at all.

If you boost it, you'll need bigger injectors, and a way to tune the truck for the increased fuel and air. That's the bare minimum. The tuning may be the hardest part if your truck is still OBD1 since almost nobody tunes obd1 stuff anymore.

I'd also do a compression test to make sure your engine can handle the boost before you spend money on parts.

Last edited:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I agree with what stmitch said, I was going to quote the guy he did.

That guy eventually had an adapter made by this guy
http://www.jdbmods.com/

who is doing some really cool stuff with Ford V8s now. (traditionally a problem due to the distributor being in the front)

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
stmitch- im wanting to do a motor about like yours, but im still looking for something that will still be a good reliable dd that i can also have a little fun with and not get passed by everything. what i was gonna start with is a spare motor and build it from there because mine got 210,000 on it now. i may have to go a differnt route on the adapter though, i can do some fab work but id rather not have to on the motor. do you know how much boost a stock 3.0`s internals can handle?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stmitch- do you know how much boost a stock 3.0`s internals can handle?
The only person I've heard of that blew up the bottom end from boost was JP02xlt. If I recall, he was running around 21lbs on a motor with well over 100,000 miles on the clock when a rod bolt stretched and fragged the bottom end. I'd think a fresh rebuild could handle boost in the mid teens for a very long time, but there aren't a ton of boosted 3.0's out there, so it's pretty uncharted territory. I plan on being in the 12-14lbs range, but that depends how much boost I loose from the port/polish work and headers.

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
well that makes me feel a lot better about a build then. i noticed your going with a whipple, would that be a better choice than an eaten. im not trying to set any records. i just dont want to get passed by stock hondas.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I chose the Whipple because it was designed in conjunction with Ford Racing to be a bolt on kit for use on the 3.0. It was a complete kit, and at the time I bought it, the only other option for boosting the 3.0 was something totally custom.
Generally speaking, twin screw superchargers (like Whipples and Kenne Bells) are more efficient, and produce less heat than a roots style blower like an Eaton. The M-90 should be fine, but it may get a little hot, so take that into account, especially when tuning. Speaking of tuning, have you figured out how you're going to tune the truck yet?

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
i have heard a little about the heat problem, but im still in the process of working all the details out. one of the reasons i started this thread was to get some good input and some more ideas. the main reason i chose the m-90 was because of the price, i can pick one up for around $300. for tuning i was gonna give bama performance a call or use a local shop that a buddy of mine used for his civic since my truck is obd1. have you got any ideas?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The only person I've heard of that blew up the bottom end from boost was JP02xlt. If I recall, he was running around 21lbs on a motor with well over 100,000 miles on the clock when a rod bolt stretched and fragged the bottom end.
Man, I almost feel like a celebrity,

I am not sure but the last time I heard Bama Performance was not doing any tuning for Rangers anymore, As for the heat issue, water injection is a viable option, the ultimate would be a slick intercooler setup but real estate gets really limited under the hood when you add either SC setup. On a good tune & fresh bottom end you should have no problems on 12-15 psi, providing you can control detonation.

JP02XLT

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Doug has been out of the game for a long time. He tunes mustangs at american muscle but won't touch the ranger/exporer drivetrains. I use Fred from Rogue Performance, he's real good to deal with. Although, he mostly writes tunes using the Xcal 3 (plugs into the OBD II port) For tuning, you will need to find an SCT certified tech with a dynometer. You'll have to use a piggyback chip that communicates through the J3 port (like the EEC-IV mustang croud uses) and have it programmed by your choice of tuners. I like the multi-switch chip because it will allow you to change profiles. For starters, I would shoot for 7-9psi. If all goes well you can up your ante, but your transmission won't like it and your motor probably won't if you're in the boost a lot and have a poor way to control the heat/deto.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals