• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D popping out of fifth

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've recently swapped an M50D from a '91 Explorer into my '94. Trans is great with the exception that it will pop out of fifth gear. it will go through gears 1-4 with no problems or sounds(2nd seems to have excess vibration through the shifter?), reverse is great, fifth will slide right in but as soon as power is applied the shifter begins to works its way out. You can visibly see it moving towards neutral. The feel going into fifth is also different. The other 5 clears have a noticeable click when they go into gear which seems to hold it. Fifth just seems to slide in without a click.

When I pulled it from the truck you could see RTV around the top cover, the shift rail plugs, and the tail housing. I looked at this as a good sign it had been freshened up but I was wrong. All components are new concerning the clutch and shifter bushings. Is is possible that I have one too many washers sandwiched in with the shifter bushings? I tried to match what came out. Also, the lower bushing was MIA when I changed it. Hindsight I should have pulled the top cover to find it.

I've read that it can be anything from the shift fork, the adjuster on the side (I attempted to adjust with no results and returned it to the position I found it in) or the reverse gear being in neutral. I'm just trying to size up the job so I know what to look for once I pull the trans again.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Sounds like the detent spring and/or ball on the shift rail is broken/missing. I would pull the top cover off and pullout the 5th/reverse rail and investigate.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Will it stay in 5th if you hold it there?

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the detent spring and/or ball on the shift rail is broken/missing. I would pull the top cover off and pullout the 5th/reverse rail and investigate.

If that's the case, any idea where I can pick up the necessary parts?

Will it stay in 5th if you hold it there?
Yes, no problem holding it in place. No odd sounds, it just tries to push against your hand.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I should have whatever you need.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That'd be great. I'll let you know.

Is this something that could be done with the trans still in the truck or am I better off taking the time to pull it out?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the end of the shaft where 5th and reverse is there is a ball bearing that is inset into the mainshaft which keeps the gear from turning freely on the shaft. It will stay in reverse without problem and can be held in 5th while going down the road. It sounds like that bearing is gone or the gear may be bad. I say either take that transmission back if there was a warranty on it or take it apart and see what you have wrong with it. This can be done by just taking the back half of the transmission apart while it is still in the truck.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will it be obvious if that bearing is bad?

Is is one of the bearings in this picture?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It is a single ball that goes in a detent on the shaft. It is often overlooked and lost while disassembling the transmission. Look at the inside of 5th and reverse you'll see what I am talking about. Look at the machined part right before the bearing....it will be there.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, I thought you meant a full bearing and not the spring and ball that Plum was referring to. I'll pull the tailshaft this weekend and see what I find.

Thanks for your help guys.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good progress was made today. Only took me an hour and a half hour to get the tailshaft off the trans. I drained the fluid first and there was a bit of material stuck to the drain plug. Much less than last time though.

This is where I'm at:

My one concern is in the upper left area where the fluid is pooling there is debris. This was behind the plastic cap sitting above it.

Not sure where it came from but it is not metal as it isn't attracted to a magnet.

Tomorrow after work I'll begin to work the bearings and gears off and see what I come up with!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
That is probably what is left of your missing lower shift bushing.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK gents, I have good news and bad news. Good news is everything is out of the truck. The main shaft bearing was a bitch but I prevailed.

Bad news is everything looks good. Ball and spring are present, there's 3 definite clicks to it. Fifth gear also looks good and is in one piece. Syncros all look good as far as I can tell. They do not have pads on them from what others have described but have brass ribs. I can take a picture if necessary.

At this point it's a shifter issue. Was I just not adjusting it properly on the side? I can provide any pictures that you would think to be relevant.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I may be onto something. I was playing with the slider and the notched wheel(? I'm sorry if I'm not using the correct terms) that fits inside it. I noticed that toothed wheel has an offset. Is it possible mine was installed backwards? Mind you this trans has been open once before.

This side was against fifth:

This was against reverse:

What leads me to think this is there are two areas worn where picture 1 sits against reverse. Not sure if that's normal or not. Just grabbing at straws here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not sure where it came from but it is not metal as it isn't attracted to a magnet.
There are several types of metal that are not attracted to a magnet, and large, important parts of your transmission, like the aluminum case and brass shift synchros are made of some of those metals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals