• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5od swap - rubbing underside of floor

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally got the heads and lower intake on the 2.9 and got the M5od and 1350 bolted back up.

While trying to sort out the trans wiring, I noticed that it looks like the trans case is touching the underside of the floor in front of the shifter.

I have the floor plate off, and there's plenty of room for the gearshift lever, but it's looking like I'm going to have to cut out part of the floor to get clearance.

Is this normal? I don't recall seeing this issue on previous swap threads. I'm using the (presumably) oem crossmember and mounts. Everything has bolted right up.

This truck originally had a 4 speed stick (FM146?) and the PO swapped in an automatic. I'm going back to a stick, but with the m5od.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The M5OD is very tight to the floor pan of the 87. When I first put mine in I had a rag sitting on top of it to keep dirt out of the shifter hole during install. It got caught against the floor pan and ripped when I tried to remove it.

I would say that once a swap like this has been done and you got away from the OEM design there is no longer anything that can be considered "normal", but it is not something I would worry about.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't care, but I'm building the truck for my wife. Don't want a bunch of vibration in the cab.

I think the converter shield might be rubbing on the trans too, although a good part of that is already rusted away so I'm not sure that I couldn't just remove it.

Not sure what would be best to do - cut out the floor and fab up a cover plate, or maybe try to drop the crossmember down 1/4 to 1/2 inch to lower the trans.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you are so worried about the NVH quality of the vehicle maybe an 87 Ranger isn't the right platform to be starting with.

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, a little road or wind noise is a bit different than the trans wacking the bottom of the floor every time the engine torques.

I just want to do it right while I have the time. Once I hand her the keys it'll be harder to go back and re-fix something I should have taken care of.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have a 87 Ex-cab, the M5OD is a tight fit but not rubbing tight. i did replace my body bushings before i did the swap. i got about 1/2 to 3/4 inch lift out of that.
It might be your body bushing are pretty worn out, 26 years is along time for rubbers

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
How bad is it hitting? Can you just give it a good whack with a BFH?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How bad is it hitting? Can you just give it a good whack with a BFH?
A hammer to the floor pan will just cause other issues. I would rather have the trans rub the floor than not be able to get the shift boot down, especially in the winter. I drove for 3 weeks in december with the floor open. Brrr.

Like I said, my fit is tight enough that I can't pull a shop rag between the trans and the floor, but it doesn't rub or cause other noise issues.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The swap in my 87 bent the floor plate a bit, been considering trimming a bit out but it's no big deal really.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Trimming does help. I did have to cut a half-moon out of the front of the shifter hole for the lower shifter to clear the floor.

If that is the spot you are worried about get out the Dremel.

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Another old FM145-M5OD thread to bump, lol. Looks like I'm replacing the cab mounts and carpet, and grabbing some sheet metal.

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why not just fix the FM145 its not a bad transmission to overhaul and parts are available.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Because I'm pushing double factory torque and broke 5th gear.
There was a time that I would have agreed with you but after disassembling a bunch of FM145s, 146s, and M5ODs I'm just not convinced that the M5OD is a significant upgrade. Main problem with the Mitsu transmissions is the 5th gear bearing...easily solved with the updated part. Some people complain about the ball bearing on the input shaft but a lot of much larger transmissions also have a ball bearing there instead of a tapered roller so I don't see it as a big deal.

Everything else inside the trans is about the same size as M5OD parts. I have rebuilt a couple Mitsu transmissions now and would not hesitate to do another one, I really like how smooth they shift.

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
There was a time that I would have agreed with you but after disassembling a bunch of FM145s, 146s, and M5ODs I'm just not convinced that the M5OD is a significant upgrade. Main problem with the Mitsu transmissions is the 5th gear bearing...easily solved with the updated part. Some people complain about the ball bearing on the input shaft but a lot of much larger transmissions also have a ball bearing there instead of a tapered roller so I don't see it as a big deal.

Everything else inside the trans is about the same size as M5OD parts. I have rebuilt a couple Mitsu transmissions now and would not hesitate to do another one, I really like how smooth they shift.
I have to agree on how smooth they shift. I have another 146 I can rebuild and try out. Although I need to find a shifter for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals