• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Mazda Transmission fluid and leak question

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
It looks like there may be a wee leak coming from my transmission. I believe it's an M5R1.

The leak seems to be coming from the drain plug and maybe a bit from the fill plug.

When I open the fill plug, the lubricant isn't quite level with the bottom of the fill hole. I have to stick my pinky down about a quarter inch before it's wet.

My questions are: what type of lube should I use? The Haynes repair manual says to use Mercon ATF, but isn't that red in color? The stuff in the tranny now looks brown, like oil. But I'm not sure how to tell what type of solution it is and what I should use to top it off?

Also, how would you recommend stopping these leaks?

You can't see the leak in the photo because I wiped it off to check later and hopefully get a better look of where the leak is coming from.

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
if it is actually coming from the plug threads, you can put some teflon tape, like plumbers use, on the threads or you can get some plastic or copper washers and put under the plugs

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
and as far as the fluid, i just google and read the forums. i cannot remember what i read though as i need to change mine too

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The forums I've read are people just arguing over what type of fluid to use. Taking about viscosities and what not. Not too much help haha.
But say I need atf and what's in there is an SAE oil, would I have to drain the whole thing and swap it for the ATF?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
M5r1 is atf from everything I've read. Not sure exactly which. Look in the tech section...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dex III/Merc, don't use Mercon V
5w-30 synthetic engine oil and Syncromesh MTF fluid are also totally safe to use

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Dex III/Merc, don't use Mercon V
5w-30 synthetic engine oil and Syncromesh MTF fluid are also totally safe to use
Thank you! Where did you find this info?

And since I am unsure about what fluid is currently in there, is it safe to top it off with one of the fluids you listed? Or will I have to drain and refill with the new fluid.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Shran has been at this for years, just gleaned stuff from having a bunch of ranger based stuff I'm sure :)

Spec is actually just below the fill hole everyone just always fills them all the way up so technically you're fine.

As long as it doesn't stink like gear oil I'd probably just call it good for now, as long as it's not gear oil I'd be tempted to just drain and refill when it's convenient, if it's gear oil it will take draining and filling then running for a while and repeat...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
man i hate the smell of gear oil. it got on my watch when i did my diff stuff day before yesterday and now my watch smells terrible. i tried putting it in dawn and water but it didn't get it completely out. now i am going to do an alcohol bath on my watch.

hopefully you don't have gear oil.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Didnt fix it. Still smells like gear oil so its going into dawn and water again.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Didnt fix it. Still smells like gear oil so its going into dawn and water again.
When you pull it out of the Dawn and water put it in a baggie with dry rice and let it dry. That may draw some of the stink out. Same for baking soda, but I'm not sure if the fine powder would be OK for a watch.

Is it a metal stretch band? If so you may have to separate the band and go nuclear on just it.

I like watches. Nothing says "damn you're old" like wearing a watch.

Good luck!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
When you pull it out of the Dawn and water put it in a baggie with dry rice and let it dry. That may draw some of the stink out. Same for baking soda, but I'm not sure if the fine powder would be OK for a watch.

Is it a metal stretch band? If so you may have to separate the band and go nuclear on just it.

I like watches. Nothing says "damn you're old" like wearing a watch.

Good luck!
Being modern times I imagine it's a smart watch, I haven't worn a watch in years, used to like it but now I either don't need to know what time it is, don't care or have my phone... I have zero desire to have anything smart other than a cellphone and wish they were less smart.

If the oil in an M5OD smells like gear oil it can make them shift hard, they're meant for thinner stuff.

Gear oil is one of my least favorite automotive fluids, coolant and brake fluid are the other two that are annoying to deal with...

Don't mean to thread jack...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Its a casio g shock watch. I dont like those watches that you have to charge everyday day or two just so you can get your messages in your watch instead od looking at your phone. It does track my cyxling and walking but i only charge it once a month because not only is it rwchargeable, its also solar.

It does get messages and junk like that but i turned all that crap off. I can look at my phone for that stuff. Its just hard to check time and distance on a phone while doing 25mph on my bicycle.

Its this watch, so i hope to fix the smell instead of having to get another. This watch tracks cycling alot better then the first gen version, which didnt even support cycling. I had to use running.

I will try the rice deal. Its not got a metal band so i think i could actually try anything but i want to start with less abrasive things so not to scratch the glass

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals