• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transmission

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The transmission on my truck is going bad and I am looking at getting a new one soon. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of a quality manual transmission. Thinking about putting in a 4.0L in the future if that makes any difference.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
what is the difference between the fm146 and the m5od

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The transmission on my truck is going bad and I am looking at getting a new one soon. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of a quality manual transmission. Thinking about putting in a 4.0L in the future if that makes any difference.
The M5OD-R1 is stronger than the FM based transmissions. The 2.9L M5OD has gear ratios of 3.72 / 2.20 / 1.50 / 1.00 / 0.79 where as the 4.0L equipped M5OD has these gears, 3.40 / 2.05 / 1.31 / 1.00 / 0.79. I would advise looking for a 2.9L based M5OD for the lower gears but they are going to be hard to find.

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks. Sounds like the M50D would be the way to go if I can find one. I'll just keep my eyes open and hope for the best. Is there anything I can do to temporarily help out my dying transmission until I can come up with the funds for a new one? I don't know of anything but if anyone here does then that'd be great.

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
What is wrong with it?
Nick

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it slips out of gear quite often. so i have to watch my speedo and rpm's when accelerating (especially uphill) to make sure that I'm not just revving the engine. it doesn't help that I live in a pretty hilly place. It only slips in 3rd and up though so worst comes to worst i end up driving up most hills in 2nd because its safe for the time being.

CknDnr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Slipping? So it pops out of gear? It IS a manual 5 speed, right?Sounds more like a clutch to me.

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It shifts fine. but when i head up hills, if i push down the gas too fast or too far, it will rev the engine and then itll drop back down to where it should be at when in that gear. it causes me to lose speed up hills pretty quickly obviously, but it still sucks on hills when i can keep it from doing that so i dunno.

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Let me make sure I understand you on this.
When you are going up hill in 3rd gear it will suddenly rev high? Is it physically popping out of gear when you reach for the shifter? It sounds like a clutch to me, if it is slipping when you put a load on it. Manuals don't sometimes work, they either do or the don't. How many miles are on this clutch? How do you drive, do you use the clutch a lot, or do you stay off it except for taking off and shifting? Most shops will charge around $400-500 for labor and parts to replace a clutch disc, slave, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and pressure plate. The parts are going to be around $150-200 if you want to spend the 4 hours to do it yourself.
Nick

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it doesn't actually pop out of gear and into neutral, it just revs up. Yeah your probably right, probably the clutch. Is there any way to tell for sure without taking everything off?

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be clutch-related, or the rear main is leaking, or somehow oil is working its way onto the friction surfaces. In any case, you will be pulling the transmission.

eb89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i stay off the clutch except when taking off and shifting. Once it starts to go, does it go quickly? because it seems to have gotten a lot worse in the past week or so. yeah i'm pretty sure the rear main seal is leaking that and the valve covers, I just haven't gotten around to cleanin my engine real good so i can tell for sure. Yeah i havent decided if im gonna go to a shop yet or not. do i have to replace the bearings slave and plate? does it depend on their condition or do those go out when the clutch does? either way i should probably go ahead and do that because who knows how old they are. its becoming quite apparent that the previous owner gave a rats ass about maintaining the truck.

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Once it starts to slip, it usually gets worse if you let it slip more. It does the same thing as trying to use the clutch to hold the truck on a slop instead of the brakes.
Nick

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
you should look into a centerforce clutch.... it's a better quality clutch than a basic replacement with organic material... it'll probably outlast your truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals