• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

master cyl.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I replaced slave, pilot, all clutch friction and components in june. Worked fine went into gear good, shifted nicely. Recently when the truck warms up (like its 5 degrees C then drive a bit and the truck warms to a normal temp) the clutch doesnt fully release. When it is really warm out I have to shut the engine off to get it in gear. Its getting worse i believe. Does this sound like the master cylinder? The truck has 300,000 km's and the master was not ever changed to my knowledge. When I changed the clutch I didnt have to bench bleed the master or anything(no fluid loss) and it worked fine anyways.
So if this sounds like the master, is it a big job? I need this vehicle 6 days a week for school and when Im not in school im usually busy studying lol. thanks

cooljman1

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
it sounds like a leak some where check for any fluid leaks in the clutch system

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope no leaks. Take today for example it was 0 degrees C this morning and remained relatively cool all day so when driving to and from school the clutch was releasing but not fully as there is was still hard shifting and putting into gear.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Lrpalo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did the master on my truck when I did my slave and it only takes about an hour to put in. The only part that will suck is fully getting all the air out of the system

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did the master on my truck when I did my slave and it only takes about an hour to put in. The only part that will suck is fully getting all the air out of the system
So Ive heard lol. But I think if you bench bleed the master, then run some fluid through the slave bleeder its not too bad.. Do you think with the symptoms my truck has that the problem is the master?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Its the slave. I had the same EXACT symptoms on my truck this summer. I had to take the T/O bearing off of the slave cylinder to see the leak, thats how small it was. Here:

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So were you loosing fluid out of your reservoir extremely slowly? Because my problem has been going on for a little more than a month and I have lost no fluid at all.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have experienced bad slaves, with a fluid leak, and no apparent fluid loss.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Shit this is not sounding good, I really dont have time to pull the trans. I dont suppose there is anyway to test and see if it is the master or slave that is bad?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I have experienced bad slaves, with a fluid leak, and no apparent fluid loss.
what he said. I had absolutely no sign of leaking fluid, thats how small the leak was. but it was there, and making my clutch go haywire.

If your truck is only a 2 wheel, the trans could be pulled, slave changed, and everything put back together in a day with a friend. Just start bright and early.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do have a 4x4 I changed the clutch and slave about 4 months ago so I could probly change the slave pretty quick I just cant beleive it since it is a brand new slave. Just to factor everything out(basically tryin to avoid droppin trans lol), the master cyl. is a piston operated pump that forces fluid to the slave which releases the clutch? Has anyone had a bad master cyl? Perhaps like since its old, alot of wear and tear and it cant force all the fluid through the line to the slave? I dont know exactly how masters work or what goes wrong with them.

pcollins just wondering i couldnt tell from the photos, where was fluid leakin from your slave?

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
On the second picture, you can see some shinyness, which is fluid on the black ring of the T/O bearing. The first picture its on the black/grey seal.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey back at this I replaced the slave and bled the system (not the master) multiple times and cant get it into gear with out forcing or grinding. I shouldnt have to bench bleed the master because no air got in through the reservoir b/c i has never dropped that low and the quick disconnnect at the tranny shouldnt let air in??? when I replaced my slave this summer I bled it once and it was flawless. Is there any secret trick to this? I know I can try drive for a couple days but i dunno...

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I'd say you have air trapped in the master or the pressure hose leading from the master. Before you do anything, look at the utube video put on by precsion clutch. There is a link to it in a new post about 5 topics above this one about clutch line problem.
I put in a new master about 3 weeks ago. I never watched the video. It took me forever to get the master bled, but once I did, the clutch works fine now.
You must have a hard pedal with only 4mm of free play before you connect your pressure hose the the quick connect at the slave. If you don't have a rock hard pedal that soon, you'll never win. See the video, it will show you what I am saying.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals