• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Master switch for dome light?

frantic29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the door ajar problem my truck had when I bought fixed. When I put the new bulbs in I finally noticed there is no master switch on the dash just to turn them on or override them so they don't turn on. Anyone ever put one in? I would like it to be on a 3-way. On, normal operation, and off completely. Any ideas on what I need to find behind the dash to make this happen?

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
What year is it?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure if every year is the same but on my 94 the headlight switch which also controls the dash dimmer does this. If you rotate the switch counter clockwise it will click and turn on your dome light.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

frantic29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry forgot to give the details. 1998 Supercab XLT 4X4 4.0 manual. The owners manual has nothing about a master switch for the dome. The Headlight switch only controls the headlights and parking lights. The instrument panel dimmer doesn't do anything except the instrument panel per the book. Was super surprised to see it not have anything in the way of a master on the dash.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
My 99 has one...you need to look harder. Never heard of that one? All my older Rangers and BII's had one. My 99 has one that is a thin (round like a small cookie sticking out a bit) on the instrument panel area that rolls up or down to dim/brighten/turn off the dome light. Google it and see what comes up. Google 'location of headlight dome dimmer switch 98 Ranger'.

frantic29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have googled and googled. About the only things that ever come up are the door ajar light problems. My first thought is my switch is broken but even the book doesn't say anything about it also being an on switch for the dome lights and there is no click or anything in the wheel. I just don't know. :dunno:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Pictures of the dash, please.

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Roll that disc shaped switch next to the headlight knob up until it stops, then roll it up more, it will click and turn the dome on.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford has always integrated the dome light on/off switch into the dimmer for the dash lights, for as long as I can remember.

My earliest experience is with my Ranger. I have worked on almost every year (if not every model of every year) from 87 up to the present. I can't think of a single one that didn't have that switch as part of the dimmer.

frantic29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Roll that disc shaped switch next to the headlight knob up until it stops, then roll it up more, it will click and turn the dome on.
Mine must be broken then. It never clicks no matter how hard I push. I know that is where it should be. Most manufacturers do it that way. Guess I can add that to the list of things to do. Are they supposed to have an overide if you go all the way down as well? That's how my f150 was.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
On my friend's 98, it's really hard to get the switch to click to the dome light position, yours might probably the same way. As for a switch with an off position: I noticed one day at the JY that Explorer Sports (the 2 door ones) have 2 clicks on the dimmer switch, not sure but the bottom click is probably to turn the dome light off.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Take it off and clean it up, just might work and is free :D

frantic29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll take it out and see if anything can be done with it. I really think its just broken because there is no getting to roll any further up. Its probably going to have to wait a little while though. A new switch is $70+ dollars and I just left it at the shop to get the A/C leak fixed. Hopefully that ends up being a lot cheaper than I think its going to be.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would've cost you a lot less to get a can of leak detector and a pack of o-rings.

Good chance a junkyard will have the switch you need. Or you can just walk in, check to see how the jy switch works, walk out.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

frantic29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got it to finally roll up and flip the dome switch on. Its hard has hell to do but it goes. Should it do the same thing on the way down for an override off position as well? Thats how my F150 was but I know a lot of manufactures don't put override off positions on everything. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals