• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Most Heavy-Duty Tranny/T-case setup for 4.0L

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
I need to a new tranny to get back up and running and i just cant reason with throwing another a4ld in there and hopign it lasts until the v8 and c6 come around. I need something that will last. ive been looking up some stuff and i think i'm looking at a c4/c5 combo with a np205. has anyone tried this combo or have anything else that worked well?

ive heard stuff about the AOD but idk if it can work for the 4.0. im not looking for any fancy adapters. if someone can help explain what needs to be swapped on what transmission to make it work i would really appreciate it thanks!

also my trucks automatic but i am willing to go manual if its worth it

Last edited:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet for a long lasting tranny is to throw an M5OD in there and be done w/ that automatic garbage. Or, put a properly cared for used auto in there, and continue to properly care for it.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
c4/c5 wont bolt to np205 nor is there an available adapter or shaft to mate them.

Aod will bolt to np205 but won't bolt to 4.0L as far as I know.

Sorry to be the bad news guy, but this is basically what my dilemma is as well. Only I wanted to slap the c4 in with the 1350 or 1354m behind the 4.0L, but that adapter kit is upwards of 500bucks. My plan was to swap in the early bronco c4 I have into the BroncoII untill I was ready for the 5.8L swap, then I would just have to swap bell housings on the c4 to make the v8 bolt up.

I'm still debating on what to do, I'm hoping I can come across the parts sometime before the 4.0L takes it's last breath. My plan is either find a c5 so I can rob the tail shaft and housing for the c4 to mate the 1350 to it or toss that idea and go aod or c6 and np205.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
c4/c5 wont bolt to np205 nor is there an available adapter or shaft to mate them.

Aod will bolt to np205 but won't bolt to 4.0L as far as I know.

Sorry to be the bad news guy, but this is basically what my dilemma is as well. Only I wanted to slap the c4 in with the 1350 or 1354m behind the 4.0L, but that adapter kit is upwards of 500bucks. My plan was to swap in the early bronco c4 I have into the BroncoII untill I was ready for the 5.8L swap, then I would just have to swap bell housings on the c4 to make the v8 bolt up.

I'm still debating on what to do, I'm hoping I can come across the parts sometime before the 4.0L takes it's last breath. My plan is either find a c5 so I can rob the tail shaft and housing for the c4 to mate the 1350 to it or toss that idea and go aod or c6 and np205.

yea man i know what youre saying i just dont want another a4ld. i am suprised mine lasted as long as it did about 190,xxx. its going to be manual transfercase for sure no matter what.

what do you thinks better c4 or c5? why?

so you say that the c4 mates to the 4.0 but not the 1350? and in order to mate it to the 1350 you need a $500 adapter or the tailshaft and hosuing from the c5?.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet for a long lasting tranny is to throw an M5OD in there and be done w/ that automatic garbage. Or, put a properly cared for used auto in there, and continue to properly care for it.
i would imagine that it would be pretty hard to find a properly card for auto tranny. i would probably get mine at pick a part for hella cheap so who knows the condition. i will look into the m5od options. i can definately see the benefits of manual though

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
what i am lookin to do is possibly find a v8 transmission because they are obviously stronger and swap the belhousings so it will bolt up to the 4.0l and use what ever tcase that can mate up to the transmission and be able to be somwhat built to be stonger.

here's an idea. i can get the c4/c5 combo except a 2wd tranny and link it to a divorced t case. this would lower my driveshaft angles too. they could use some better angling.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
what i am lookin to do is possibly find a v8 transmission because they are obviously stronger and swap the belhousings so it will bolt up to the 4.0l and use what ever tcase that can mate up to the transmission and be able to be somwhat built to be stonger.

here's an idea. i can get the c4/c5 combo except a 2wd tranny and link it to a divorced t case. this would lower my driveshaft angles too. they could use some better angling.
i like the divorced transfer case idea but that means a lot of fab work and i don't know that i would go that way... i would highly recomend the m5od/1354 combo for its durability and ease of installation:icon_pepsi:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea man i know what youre saying i just dont want another a4ld. i am suprised mine lasted as long as it did about 190,xxx. its going to be manual transfercase for sure no matter what.

what do you thinks better c4 or c5? why?

so you say that the c4 mates to the 4.0 but not the 1350? and in order to mate it to the 1350 you need a $500 adapter or the tailshaft and hosuing from the c5?.
For the best setup you would need one of each.

You can build the holy snot out of a C4, a 4.0 would never touch one. To build a C5 you basically turn it into a C4...

But you need the bellhousing, tailhousing and tailshaft out of the 2.8 C5 and your 1350/4 will bolt right on it as well.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

You can build the holy snot out of a C4, a 4.0 would never touch one. To build a C5 you basically turn it into a C4...

But you need the bellhousing, tailhousing and tailshaft out of the 2.8 C5 and your 1350/4 will bolt right on it as well.
That is what I am going to do. C4/C5 and my 1350. Later on I'll find EB adapter and shaft for a Dana 20 and install a low range gear set. Along with front and rear D60's.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic

what i get from this is that the c4 is the desired transmission here but it wont wonk on a 4.0 therefore you take the bellhousing,tailhousing and tailshaft out of the 2.8 c5 to make it work. since the c5 was offered in rangers the tailhousing enables the 1350/4 to be attached to it is that right?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Correct.

IIRC 70's-early 80's V6 mustangs and/or Mustang II's used the c4 too, my c4 bell housing came from a late 70's Mustang II. Actually I got the whole mustang c4 as well as the early v8 early Bronco c4 but you get the idea. Still searching for the illusive c5 tail housing and tail shaft tho. Every Time I come across one for some reason it never comes through.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Correct.

IIRC 70's-early 80's V6 mustangs and/or Mustang II's used the c4 too, my c4 bell housing came from a late 70's Mustang II. Actually I got the whole mustang c4 as well as the early v8 early Bronco c4 but you get the idea. Still searching for the illusive c5 tail housing and tail shaft tho. Every Time I come across one for some reason it never comes through.

i feel like this would be hard to find already built lol. i wish i lived closer to a pick a part i used to be about 25 minutes from now im about an hour and a half. and i refuse to pay for a transmission at any other junkyard im looking at like $300+ a transmission when pick a part is like $50 lol. its like a shopping mall there fore me. and from what i hear from you it sounds time taking to find these.

on a side note, do you still have your mini spools? if so how do they do on the road?

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
For sure, but gives you another source at least for a potential donor, but I agree, these vehicles are all getting very rare, the 83-84 C5 rangers, 84 c5 BII are also rare nowa days, at least in my neck of the woods. Spent the last few years looking for these parts to no avail, this is why I'll likely go with an AOD or c6 and the np205 and wait for the v8 swap top do it all, instead of doing the auto swap before the v8 swap. Oh well, can't win em all.

Still running the mini spools, I don't mind them on the road, the front always has the hubs unlocked so it's really only the rear to deal with. I like that it's always locked, no weird handling traits, it's very predictable. I can hear it on tighter corners skidding 1 rear wheel, hardly notice it on the highway at all. Actually I have driven with the hubs locked and it in 2wd and it's noticeable but not terrible on pavement, icy roads are a whole nother story tho, that can be scary with the front locked, need to be very careful when cornering. 2wd in the winter with mini spool and swampers is like full time drifting, keeping it in a straight line is the name of the game, lol, short wheelbase can be fun!

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
RBV C5 is very rare as I have been actively looking without any luck. In fact , I ordered a so-called C5 from a wrecker in Winnipeg only to be very disappointed when it showed up and it was a A4LD. I'm out the shipping but they don't want it back.

I now have a lead on a somewhat whole 84 B2 . We'll see what comes of it.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
it just sounds like a hassle. so is there nothing vehicle that ever came with a 4.0l and a c4? like an older f150 or bronco? i plan on having it rebuilt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals