• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motorcraft parts rant

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I might be dumb for buying their stuff but in my explorer I have kept it 100% stock and use factory parts expecting it to run like stock and be reliable. May 2010, battery takes a dump. No big deal its 5 years old. Today OEM replacement motorcraft battery takes a dump....84 mo warranty. It was bought through the garage I used to work at, I have a garage recipt. Garage owner tossed his from the purchase. Motorcraft dealer won't touch it, local dealer won't touch it and the 1800 number won't touch it. I'm jacked. I don't expect a free replacement but at least the prorated replacement, hell the battery has a date stamp on it so they know how old it is. I chewed some poor lady's ass out on the 1800 number over this. If they can take the effort to date stamp it then at least own up to replacing it or stop dating them and take the money the save on that to make the battery 5 bucks cheaper when you get screwed on the replacement anyway. To make it better the last time the battery was out the explorer lost all its memory and wouldn't run...fail safe mode. Off to the dealer to pay for a reflash most likely to do it all over again. Long story short...buy the cheapest generic parts you can get because the expensive factory stuff isnt any better. Rant off.

Matt

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
keep goin up the ladder at the 1800. if its a motorcraft battery, file complaints, write to the CEO, you name it. stir up enough shit, and they will do something about it. if you have a reciept, and the battery is dated, they cant say no.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Supposedly from what I am told by my dealer, you have to have the dealer install it for the full replacement warranty.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Not true....we do over the counter warranties all the time on Motorcraft batteries.

Customer brings it in, we put it on the diagnostic tester, if it fails it spits out a code. We give them a new battery if still covered under the full replacement or they pay whatever percentage is left on the prorated warranty and they are on their way. We submit the claim to Ford.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Not true....we do over the counter warranties all the time on Motorcraft batteries.

Customer brings it in, we put it on the diagnostic tester, if it fails it spits out a code. We give them a new battery if still covered under the full replacement or they pay whatever percentage is left on the prorated warranty and they are on their way. We submit the claim to Ford.
This has always been my experience with batteries as well, never had this bull crap that I'm dealing with now. I have a garage reciept not the original battery this is where I'm getting issue. I am pretty much being told that if you go somewhere and they install a battery and you get a reciept for parts and service it doesn't do jack. You aren't going to get the original reciept because that is kept by the garage...lots of times lost soon after. Say you move away, have a motorcraft battery and it dies. Reguardless of when it was made you are screwed on warranty. Everyone I have called and talked to has pretty much told me this. I'm not happy with this crap at all not only because I'm not getting a warranty that I'm supposed to have but good chance this thing will need towed to the dealer again for a reflash when it wont run.

Matt

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic

^^^what he said. Our Ford dealership does this as well. You said you heve the receipt, correct? I bought my Ranger new in July 99. When my first battery went out after 5 years I went to my Ford dealership and they sold me a new one. 3 years laster it went out and I took the battery back to them and they gave me a new one prorated. It did not cost me much. I used that one for about 2 years and then I bought a bigger unit to run my winch setup. Nothing was wrong with the older battery. I sold it to a buddy. I just bought a different brand then and I still have it in the truck now.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I have the reciept from the garage where it was purchased and installed. The dorks around here wanted the original sales reciept of the battery which I never had nor does the garage have for some reason. But thankfully I searched around and found a small mom and pop place that carries motorcraft stuff. They deal with this all the time and are going to exchange it today. Thankfully there are some normal people still in the business...I'll think twice about factory parts ever again.

Matt

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have the reciept from the garage where it was purchased and installed. The dorks around here wanted the original sales reciept of the battery which I never had nor does the garage have for some reason. But thankfully I searched around and found a small mom and pop place that carries motorcraft stuff. They deal with this all the time and are going to exchange it today. Thankfully there are some normal people still in the business...I'll think twice about factory parts ever again.

Matt
I am glad that worked out, Bro. Nothing wrong with motorcraft parts. If you buy it from Ford you have nothing to worry about. If you buy from a parts place that sells motorcraft and have the receipt you will be ok as well. Always get and keep that receipt!!!

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Mal Wart battries! It goes bad....they slap another one on the counter/no argueing!...I give em $10 pro-rate......

Upside.....I always got a clean-looking battry/save money in the long run...

down-side.... I got to change broke battries every 2 years.........but they give you a heads up---for about a month they start cranking slower so you can plan your trip to Mal Wart.....

Last edited:

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is why I love my Walmart batteries. I bought the truck with the battery in it last June. The battery died last September for good. We went in, battery had a date of 9/10 so I took it in, and even told them that I bought the truck with the battery in it. A quick call to the manager later, I got myself a new battery for free!

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Of course the dealer is gonna want you to deal through them so they can charge you out the ass. The only reason I would deal with them is if I was buying a new car, and if it was under warranty, after that I would do the work myself.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Think twice about buying ALL Motorcraft parts? Or just batteries? If you change your stance over one battery, I think you're being too critical.

You do know the Ford didn't make that battery, right?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ha I love Wal*Mart batteries too! I havent had to buy a battery for my truck in 6 or 7 years with the 3 year garunteed no questions/testing policy they have. :) lol

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you are having to reflash the PCM to get it to run every time the battery is out you have bigger problems than a dead battery. That is what I'd be looking into.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I buy mine from Costco because they also have a 3 year no hassle warranty. I believe the three years starts over again if you have it replaced though. I was at about 40 months from the first one I purchased, and they gave me a battery and 10 bucks (core charge). I was using my own personal don't ask/don't tell policy - I wasn't going to ask them why if they weren't telling me why.

I'm going to be trying that trick again really soon here I suspect. The Mustang's battery is deader than a doornail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals