• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mountain bike rear rim

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 199? 21spd 26" Mongoose D40R. Something happened to the rear rim (no idea what) so the inner hub is all cracked where the bearings run.

Trying to find a new rim online... it isn't like car rims at all. How do you know what fits?

I got the thing right before I got my license so it is basically like brand new. Maybe a couple hundred miles on it. I put new tires/tubes and a seat for it right before the hub died.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it has a quick release, then you can get a replacement wheel pretty cheap online. You could have the wheel rebuilt with a new hub, but that is probably more than you want to spend. If you could post a photo of the wheel/hub I could be more specific. Youtube is a good resource for seeing how these things work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it has a quick release, then you can get a replacement wheel pretty cheap online. You could have the wheel rebuilt with a new hub, but that is probably more than you want to spend. If you could post a photo of the wheel/hub I could be more specific. Youtube is a good resource for seeing how these things work.
I think only the front is a quick release.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it is not a quick release, it has a nut on either side and the bearing retainers probably got too loose and allowed the play in the hub to destroy itself. You can get a replacement wheel with the hub for about $50 at a bike shop or look for a used one. The problem will be moving the "cassette" (the gears) from the old to the new one if you don't have the special tool. A bike shop can do it quick. I would just recommend going to your local bike shop and show them the problem.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Local bike shop, ask for a used replacement. Honestly though, unless you get a wheel dirt cheap (or free), you probably should put the money towards a replacement bike. If you ride much at all you'll be happy with an upgrade. That bike was a Wally World bike, and at that time the bikes they were selling component wise were pretty behind the times. I actually looked at the bikes they offer at Walmart just a few weeks ago, while not top of the line, I have to say I was pretty impressed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Local bike shop, ask for a used replacement. Honestly though, unless you get a wheel dirt cheap (or free), you probably should put the money towards a replacement bike. If you ride much at all you'll be happy with an upgrade. That bike was a Wally World bike, and at that time the bikes they were selling component wise were pretty behind the times. I actually looked at the bikes they offer at Walmart just a few weeks ago, while not top of the line, I have to say I was pretty impressed.
Yeah, I know where I bought it. A full suspension bike isn't terribly cheap and I like this one.

I won't ride it a whole lot, just a few trails with my girlfriend. Honestly there are many other things I would rather put a couple hundred bucks towards than a new bike.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals