• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mud tires

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
need better mud tires i have bfg a/ts on my truck right now and they are ok but it's time to upgrade i am looking at some wrangler mtrs from treadwright.com just wondering what some of you have run, and if the mtrs are any good? i will be runnign 31/10.5r15.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So you're looking strictly for mud tires?

If so, anything with big open cleats throw mud the best. I have Wildcat Mud Tires (from Les Schwab) and they work very well in mud and deep snow. However, ice and rain they aren't the best.

Just recently there was a thread about those Treadwright MTR or MTG's (I don't remember what the name was), but it sounded like people liked them. I'm going to be looking into them when I need new tires.

Hope this helps.

youngstroker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
o ya my truck never sees pavement so i don't care how they ride, or how they wear, i just want them to throw some mud.

solidchaos73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not to hijack the thread, but im needing new tires also and i was looking to go with a 31x10.5r15, would i have horrible rubbing issues with my 99(with the tbars cranked)? I searched, but didnt really find a definitive answer.

http://www.treadwright.com/shopNowresult.php?sectiresize1=&tiresize33=&tiresizef=31|10.5|15&next=+Next+
And those are some dam cheap tires! Maybe ill buy some haha

residue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4L
Transmission
Automatic
I have the MTR's in a 315/75/16 (essentially 35x12.5) on my 150, and I only run them on the trail now. They're loud, they're soft (wear on pavement), and they suck for gas mileage. But I love them. Off-road they perform well if you drop the pressure. and they've got reinforced sidewalls with kevlar protection against rocks.

If they will be your only set of tires, and you're coming from AT, you will either be upset on longer drives, or it'll be like the truck is humming to you.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers are also good mudders.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My new issue of 4 Wheel And Off-Road magazine has a mud tire test (using 33's). Of the tires they tested, here is the finishing order:
1. Interco TRXUS radial M/T.
2. Pro Comp Xtreme M/T
3. Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn
4. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
5. BF Goodrich M/T

not to hijack the thread, but im needing new tires also and i was looking to go with a 31x10.5r15, would i have horrible rubbing issues with my 99(with the tbars cranked)?
No. Late-model FX4 Level II Rangers come with 31x10.50-15's stock.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My new issue of 4 Wheel And Off-Road magazine has a mud tire test (using 33's). Of the tires they tested, here is the finishing order:
2. Pro Comp Xtreme M/T
3. Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn
5. BF Goodrich M/T

No. Late-model FX4 Level II Rangers come with 31x10.50-15's stock.
too bad they only test the tire manufacturers that do the most advertising with them. we all know there are many other really good tires on the market under different brand names that can be less expensive. guess that is why i don't put much stock in any of the popular mags "tire tests".
:annoyed: just my $.02

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
pro comp is doing their buy 3 get 1 free deal until september, so the xtreme MT might be something to look into, it got second in the test.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ihave run Maxxis Bighorns in 33"s on the ranger and run them in 31"s on my explorer and love them. They work very well and ride great. They have tough sidewalls as well. They do great in mud and deep snow.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have actual Goodyear MT/Rs on my Ranger (the ones the Treadwrights are patterned after), and they are worse in mud than the BFG MTs I had before them. I'll 2nd the Dunlop Mud Rover as a good tire as well, my buddy runs those. Mud performance seems similar to the BFG, although I don't think they stick as well on rocks (harder compound I think).

2. Pro Comp Xtreme M/T
3. Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn
5. BF Goodrich M/T
You got the BFG and Goodyear reversed, its:

1. Interco
2. Procomp
3. Maxxis
4. BFG
5. Goodyear

:icon_twisted:

I agree with strvger, tire tests in the big advertising-laden mags like that I don't put a whole lot of faith in (especially one with such as radically narrow focus as that one, which also had an obsolete tire in the test too).

o ya my truck never sees pavement so i don't care how they ride, or how they wear, i just want them to throw some mud.
If the truck isn't seeing any pavement, and you want to throw mud, get yourself a set of Super Swamper TSLs. The TSL Bogger is another awesome mudslinging tire, although you have to have enough 'engine' to spin Boggers effectively.

C00T3R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I run Procomp X-terrains 33x12.50x15 they get me through mud fine and my 4wd doesnt work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals