• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Muffler on a 2.3l

jnmcinnis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
What would be a good sounding muffler on the 2.3l I DO NOT WANT THE RICER/WEED WACKER SOUND? any help would be nice.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know a flow 40 sounds like a ricer, thats wut i got and dont like it! a dynomax ultraweld(strait through) is very ricy, and i also tryed a eddy rpm( sound like a real deep glass pack on v8) but sounds like shit on 4 banger.... me personaly will go back to a factory or try a hush power for flow

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ive heard turbo mufflers (thrush flowmaster magnaflow etc) sound well on a 2.3 w/ the cats installed. w/o cats your gonna have rice plus its illegal as hell.

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
I personally don't think there is a muffler that sounds "good" for a 2.3 L, If i were you I would leave it stock and not try to make it sound any better. But thats just my opinion, you do whatevr you want, if ur gonna get a new muffler for the 2.3 L, get a chambered muffler, don't go with any of tht cherrybomb glasspack shit!

jnmcinnis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking a dynomax thrush turbo wat do yall think

Also wat is the stock exhaust size?

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1 7/8 to 2'' typically

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
a 4 cylinder is a 4 cylinder. It's about the exhaust pulse harmonics. An inline 4 is going to sound like that... either put on a big old quiet muffler or a low back pressure unit that's going to sound like all of the other 4 cylinder cars with modified exhausts. Ever notice how Subaru WRX' with their flat 4's sound like they have a miss and honda/mitsu/toy/ecotec/etc all sound the same? It's about pulse and harmonics associated with that.

My Nissan Titan sounds like any other small block V8 truck out there.

You're honestly not going to get away from it.

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As I said in the post below this one, the best exhaust you can do on a 2.3 is to split it, run 2 mufflers (personally I think chamber muffs sound the best here) and duals out.

Sounds the least like a four cylinder if you do that.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i have to say ... about cats for ex. on my 88 ranger i got a stainles tube header of a 96, from thear it gose to a 2 1/2 colecter(over kill?)for the cat,well wut cat?lol it did not have one when i bought it so i took a cat of a 78 dodge powerwagon(21/2 in out diameter) punched it out and sleved a straight pipe down the midel, tiged it all back together so the inspecter wont know shit :icon_welder:, its very good looking so its not obvious.(plus i am a NC safty,obd2 inspecter) hehe and to finish flow master 40 very deep chain saw sound i will be finding a good flowing guiet muffler soon im told hush powers sound nice on jeeps?

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Don't bother with a muffler, save yourself some money and straight-pipe it! Then all the Hondas will try to race you at stop lights lol.

I put a Dynomax ultra "race bullet" on my b2300, 2 1/4" single in/out and like it a lot. It is pretty loud, as the muffler uses no baffling of any kind. According to Dynomax, there is only a 1-2 db difference between the "race" series mufflers and straight-pipes.

Last edited:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u got the lima motor and not the duratec, it wont sound all that ricey no matter what u do

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a 4 cylinder is a 4 cylinder. It's about the exhaust pulse harmonics. An inline 4 is going to sound like that... either put on a big old quiet muffler or a low back pressure unit that's going to sound like all of the other 4 cylinder cars with modified exhausts. Ever notice how Subaru WRX' with their flat 4's sound like they have a miss and honda/mitsu/toy/ecotec/etc all sound the same? It's about pulse and harmonics associated with that.

My Nissan Titan sounds like any other small block V8 truck out there.

You're honestly not going to get away from it.
nothing sounds like a wrx it is the best sounding 4

turboranger91

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
they all sound like tractors.

do a 2.3t swap with a bullet style muffler.... sounds great on my ranger.

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I know I'm gonna get hell for this but....
.. Somehow I got a WRX sounding (more like familar..not exact obviously) out of my 1993 2.3. Only really at idle and below 3500 revs. from 4 grand on (don't shift much above that usually) it's pretty damn loud and it loses the deeper exhaust pulse and can be described a little ricey. I found myself short shifting sometimes as to not draw it out like most ricers do.

Like what was previously stated, its a 4 popper no matter how you look at it. But Flows resonate too much for me on this motor.. you can hear examples on youtube. I used an 18" cherry bomb with 2 1/4 in and 2.5 out. My camera doesn't pick up the sound that great but I did post a video of it. It's surprisingly deeper that I thought even with the 2.5 inch pipe. Again..its loud.. and I have a cat (meow) on it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfShhKGTu4U
SOUND FROM CAMERA BLOWS...sounds better in person!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals